Tail vise - OMG

Ronn W

The work bench that I used at Marc Adams school last month had  a tail vise.  I had never used one before and, WOW,  I loved it.   Now I have a new item for my wish list.  The challenge will be that I will have to add width to my work bench or remake one half of the bench top (I have a split top bench.)  Got to admit that I don't even now how it goes together - will have to research that.

I imagine that there are lots of mechanisms to choose from from different suppliers.  Would hate to end up with a cheap one that does not clamp solidly.  Any recommendations?

25 minutes ago, Mick S said:

Haha. I've read in so many places (Fine Woodworking included) that tail vises are useless. I use my tail vise (Lie-Nielsen) 10 x as much as my front vise. It's the best thing about my bench.

Agreed! Since finishing my bench, I almost have to remind myself to us to use the front vise, but I just instinctively use the end vise for all sorts of things.  I had even considered not installing one after reading a lot of "experts"...

3 hours ago, Ronn W said:

The challenge will be that I will have to add width to my work bench or remake one half of the bench top (I have a split top bench.) 

I installed this tail vise: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=65746&cat=1,41637,41659  It can be installed without remaking your top.  I really like the quick release, and it is very well made.

Agreed..  The LV tail vise listed by Bob doesn't require any major modifications!

Also, HNT Gordon makes one that I like a bit better then the LV one that also doesn't require any major modifications.

I've installed both and they work fine.  I still prefer my BC one but, those two are certainly fine choices@. Both are pretty simple installs!

Just to clarify, when you all say "tail vise" you mean a vice that has a narrow face and lines up on the front edge of the bench as opposed to an "end vice" with a face as wide as the workbench's side?

So @Ronn W what wow'ed you with the tail vice as compared to an end vice?

3 hours ago, Mark J said:

So @Ronn W what wow'ed you with the tail vice as compared to an end vice?

It could be that I am just so frustrated with my wood river side and end vises racking and not holding well or It could be that it was the first time I ever used a tail vise.  I was really impressed with how solid it was and that it would hold my work piece in any vertical orientation solidly.  The piece would not slip when I was pairing, for example, dovetail shoulders.

I was not the ability to hold a piece of woof flat from planing it was holding wood in other postions that impressed me.

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

Just to clarify, when you all say "tail vise" you mean a vice that has a narrow face and lines up on the front edge of the bench as opposed to an "end vice" with a face as wide as the workbench's side?

Yes, mounted along the front of the table - not an end vise.