Lie Nielsen 5-1/2 BD Jack Plane

Ron Swanson Jr.

25 minutes ago, applejackson said:

My ONLY gripe, and it's a very small one, is that there isn't much space between the blade and handle for the lateral adjustment lever. This is my first BD Lie Nielsen plane, so maybe they're all that way. Hardly a big deal but thought I'd mention it. 

Congrats on the new tools! There's not much clearance on any of them, but some have slightly more room. Not sure if that's due to shorter handles or the position of the handle.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

Not sure if that's due to shorter handles or the position of the handle.

I would say that the shape of the handle factors in there too. it would be easy enough to design a handle that gives you a little more room, but like I said I'm not complaining. I just felt like I had that have at least one thing that wasn't a slobbering compliment in my review!

21 minutes ago, Immortan D said:

Great plane, I have one and use it all the time.

@Immortan D  Silly question here, but how do I increase pressure on the cap? All of my planes in this style have a bolt on the cap, which is how you increase the tension. This one has a lever instead of a bolt. Or is it not adjustable?

1 hour ago, applejackson said:

@Immortan D  Silly question here, but how do I increase pressure on the cap? All of my planes in this style have a bolt on the cap, which is how you increase the tension. This one has a lever instead of a bolt. Or is it not adjustable?

Use the brass screw to set the tension. The lever on the cap is a quick release mechanism, you pull it to remove the cap and the blade and push it to lock everything back in. Before removing the cap for the first time (pulling the lever), loosen the screw at least half a round. That's because LN ships their planes with the screw over tightened to prevent damages during transportation.