Resaw fence for the new baby

Mick S

Was your factory fence in good alignment out of the box?  I was surprised to find that the fence on my new Jet was off slightly in both directions, but even more surprised that there are no adjustments.  I had to shim it with layers of packaging tape.

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Was your factory fence in good alignment out of the box?

Mine was off vertically by a little less than 1/64" over the 4" height, it's flat end to end and parallel to the blade. There's also no adjustment on mine, but the fence rides on the table only for about the first inch and the last inch, with the rest is slightly elevated.

IMG_0895.jpg.f9ab623ca8bcea5cf6f64dfc6f1445c5.jpg

I used the dentist's trick to find the high spot (using pencil shading on paper instead of carbon paper), then carefully filed down the area that was too high (causing the tilt) until it sat perpendicular to the table. It was on the right edge at the end of the fence where the grinder had reversed directions. You could tell by the reversed marks (and graphite from the pencil) in that area. Took about 5 minutes to get it right on. It's a heavy cast iron fence, very solid. It has a drift adjustment pin and bolt on the front but the 1" blade I have on it tracks parallel, so I haven't adjusted it.

The adjustment needed for perpendicularity didn't surprise me at all. It would have surprised me more to not have needed it. The Italian manufacturers are not known for the fit and finish on their machines, but for putting the heft and engineering where it's needed. I knew that when I bought it. 

Like I said, I'll do an in-depth review once I've used it a while.

10 hours ago, Doug Carlson said:

Howdy @Mick S - can you explain the dentist's trick you are referring to? Thanks! 

Have you ever had a crown? When the dentist is fitting the crown to your existing bite he has you tap-tap-tap on carbon paper to leave marks on the "high" spots of the new crown so he can grind them off. I did the same thing, but I used pencil shading on paper and set it under the fence and pulled it out to leave graphite on the bottom of the fence, showing me where I needed to take material off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first bad experience was when I was about 20 yo. I had a root canal and about 80% of the way thru the drilling the dentist said ooops. The drill bit broke off. This was on a Friday and come Monday morning, I looked liked a swelled up dead pig. Been down hill ever since.

Just proof it’s easy to hj a thread without meaning to do so. 

Ah well, my thread. Let me tell you about my wisdom teeth...

Tomorrow I'm going to smoke a pork butt on the kamado. We're heading down to the farmer's market in the am to get some fresh roasted Hatch, NM green chiles. NFL kicks off Sunday and I will have a big bowl of green chile stew in front of me!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, K Cooper said:

If the Chile stew is not a secrete family recipe, please share it via pm or on here.

I’ll let you know tomorrow. We do have a recipe that we’ve made for years, but we’re trying a new twist with the smoked pork butt. We’ve always just cubed the pork and browned it. Should be an interesting experiment. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 8:57 AM, Mick S said:

I’ll let you know tomorrow. We do have a recipe that we’ve made for years, but we’re trying a new twist with the smoked pork butt. We’ve always just cubed the pork and browned it. Should be an interesting experiment. 

How did that pork turn out Mick?