table saw aligning jig.....

oldman_pottering

Thinking about shelling out some cash for the Digi Align jig and would like opinions on this and as to whether its a waste of money etc 

for example, am I better off making my own, using readily available tools or can this tool be beneficial

Im starting to find that (particularly making french cleats) that the timber is burning towards the last part of the cut and also seems

to start binding slightly at the last part of the cut making me think things are not aligned as they should be

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

First of all, I'd check the alignment of the blade to the miter slots on your saw. It's simple enough to do with just a combination square. Mark one tooth with a Sharpie and set your square right up against the edge of the miter slot and set the blade of the square so it's just touching the marked tooth at the front of the saw. Then rotate that tooth to the back and move your square to that position on the miter slot to see if it's in the same position. If not, you'll need to square the blade to the slot by whatever method your saw manufacturer recommends. If it is in alignment, the problem is most likely how your fence is set. Ideally it should be set so that it "toes out" by just a couple of thousands of an inch. If anything, you do not want it toeing into the blade. That causes binding and kickback.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Mick

Thanks, that was an interesting video. Do you know anything of this from fine wood working about aligning the tablesaw in 2 planes ?

I'm going to go out to the shed now and check the blade and fence alignment first before I worry too much about aligning the 2nd plane

Thanks again for your help

OK, blade alignment was good ( tested with combination square) 

Fence alignment was out ( the rear of the fence was closer to the blade than the front) by approx 1.5 mm

gee-dub

thats a neat setup, can you explain how to setup for the other plane ?

I don't really get the meaning or understanding

Appreciate all the input. I should mention that 4 months ago I lost my job but have found work as an interstate truck driver which has me leaving home on Sunday afternoons and returning on Friday evenings which doesn't leave a lot of time to pursue my hobbies. I will re-read all these posts and comments when I can but wanted everyone to know that I appreciate all responses and explain why it may take a week or so for me to get around to it. 

Thanks for the detailed response and photos gee-dub

Regards

Geoff