anyone tried cutech planer/jointer?

Valleyslim

just like title states im in a market of either jointer or planer or possibly both. Im in  1 car garage so im limited to bench top style only. I would like to get the helical or spiral cutters. The dewalt 735x with stand is 599 at homedepot but the byrd upgrade would be another 380$. Actually was browsing these forums and the cutech jointer was on the side of the website advertisements for a decent price. I could get both 6" jointer bench top and bench top planer with spiral cutter (not a full helical) for pretty close to the price of the dewalt. Another model i looked at was grizzly bench top spiral model but that was about 700. Any thoughts?? thanks in advance

No experience with Cutech, but the basic design appears very similar to the Delta bench top jointer I own. Frankly, its not that useful for anything over 3 ft long, the beds are just too short. If that works for you, then it seems like a good deal, and the spiral cutter heads should last longer and be quieter that straight knives.

Just ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

No experience with Cutech, but the basic design appears very similar to the Delta bench top jointer I own. Frankly, its not that useful for anything over 3 ft long, the beds are just too short. If that works for you, then it seems like a good deal, and the spiral cutter heads should last longer and be quieter that straight knives.

Just ... 

thanks for the input, is building an extension table for it worth trying?

As @fcschoenthal said, wings can certainly help. I won't bother on mine, as the universal motor, aluminum beds, and low quality bearings make it a nuisance to use. I'd rather save for a better replacement machine. Full disclosure, I do own a DW735, which handles the langer, wider boards with the help of a sled, so a jointer upgrade is not my highest priority.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Cutech 8" jointer with the teflon bed and the helical cutter head with high speed steel blades. I bought it in a combo pack with the 12.5" planer with helical cutter head and high speed steel blades.

I love the jointer, the planer is just OK.  I only got into woodworking last year so I've never operated a full size floor standing jointer or planer - so my opinion only has so much value.

The jointer has extensions that are surprisingly stable. The fence is extruded aluminum, and it's a little bit of a pain to calibrate, but it holds true once it's set up.  The cutterheads do a nice job, the motor seems powerful enough.   I have a pretty small basement shop, so I'm not sure I'll ever have room for a full size floor standing jointer - so this one does a nice enough job and the price is right.

The planer is so-so. It bogs out pretty easily and I can't seem to get the snipe out, so I've given up on that.

Both tools are available from other manufacturers. Cutech (now Wahuda I guess) had the best features (the helical cutterheads, teflon coated bed, few other things) and the best price. I'd buy the DW735 if I was buying a planer again, but for the jointer - I'm not aware of other better benchtop options.

Edited by DMV
teflon bed, not blades - weird typo
  • Like 1

I've got the 6" helical cut tech jointer. It is about exactly what you'd expect for the size and price. I can't really knock it for not being a massive 8" jointer with a 72" bed, I didn't pay that much!

I'd say a major factor when it comes to jointers is thinking about your use cases. If you want to make dining tables with a bunch of big wide and long boards edge laminated, this tool isn't going to cut it. If you are doing cutting boards, keepsake boxes, and other things with pieces that are about 4 feet long, or shorter, you probably get a lot done with this sort of jointer.