small filter/seperator for 1hp dust collector

duckkisser

I have a 1hp dust collector mounted on the wall behind my lathe and miter saw and was thinking that I would like to put a filter and separator before the motor so that I can separate out my chips and dust from the motor.  the chips from the lathe end up geting tossed into in the impeller and since its just a cheap harbor freight machine I figure the impeller is plastic or light weight metal.  thought if I can separate out the chips before they hit the impeller all the better.  I thought about geting a dust deputy and adding into the line but none they have for shop vac will work with the 1hp dust collector and I don't want to spend the  hundreds of dollars for a tool that is rarely used except to collect dust and chips from my lathe.  anyone have any ideas on best way to separate the chips for next to nothing.

thought about that problem is I need something that is smaller then a 30 gallon trash can since It will have to sit behind my lathe on the counter.  I am not moving my lathe stand out until I move my shop...….way way heavy.  ill need to cut out the bottom and vacuume out the sand before I move that again.  need something for a 5 gallon bucket im thinking something like this. 

thien_baffle.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I like that, though i'm not sure how well that will work attached to a 1hp DC that i'm guessing uses 4" hoses?

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

again I run into the problem of the cfm in the 600 would probably crush a shop vac separator

1 hour ago, Chestnut said:

Oh yeah that'll work great for sure. Heck that pictured thein baffle will separate quite a bit of fine chips as well and even some dust.  I assumed when you were talking about lathe stuff you wanted a bigger dust canister than a 5gal pail.

wish I had the room for a larger container but the space it tight

21 hours ago, drzaius said:

The blower will not be able to crush a 5 gallon bucket. It produces far less static pressure than a shop vac.

I agree, and if one were still concerned it's possible to glue two buckets together to stiffen up the whole structure. I've done this with a dust deputy attached to my shop vac and it works fine.