New Jobsite table saw regulations

Minnesota Steve

I can't find particularly good article on this, but over at toolguyd last month they reviewed a new Dewalt jobsite saw and there was mention that there has been a change to the regulations mandating a minimum table size to blade size ratio.

https://toolguyd.com/dewalt-jobsite-table-saw-dwe7485-022020/

That was always the problem I had with the DWE7480 I had from Dewalt... the short distance made it hard to do a crosscut.   This regulation change might explain why Sawstop revised their jobsite saw this past year as well as the new saw has a deeper table.

Well the new dwe7485 now uses an 8-1/4" blade.  That's also what they used on their flexvolt table saw.     I believe this is a European spec 210mm blade.   I know Makita has had a SCM using this size blade for some time.   So we'll probably see more equipment coming to market using this blade size.

Anyway apparently the Dw745 and other jobsite saws with 10" blades are being clearanced out.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2020 at 11:58 AM, Chestnut said:

I had a dw745 back in the day and used it with an 8 1/4" blade it worked pretty well with that. The lower tip speed gave the motor a bit more torque and it handled hardwoods a hair better.

I have one of those too, although now it sits on a shelf. I loved the rack and pinion fence on it, but dang it was noisy and eventually for shop work the table was too small. But it was a great saw. I didn’t know the regulations about job site saws even existed, let alone changed. But I haven’t worked a job site like that for ages, more than two decades, so I’m a bit out of the loop there. OSHA has been around a long time... I recall working on the ranch the old boys that owned it said “if them OSHA folks come down here I’ll run em off with a shotgun!” Ok.... they weren’t really interested in a ranch in the middle of Montana anyway, this was the 70s... But I digress.

2 hours ago, pkinneb said:

I tell you what I have seen some pretty sketch operations on job site saws on both YouTube and HGTV...they typically include small job site saw, large sheet goods, and two or three people who should know better...

And cutting free hand.  I am amazed how many times I see on being used with out a fence.

• Like 2

It' has gotten so I find it too stressful watching some of the YouTube 'woodworkers' & they're complete ignorance & disregard for safe practices. It seems like every couple of minutes they are on the verge of cutting something off. I have no problem watching the guys that know what they're doing that don't use the guards & do things that would be dangerous to someone less experienced though.

3 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Oh yeah I forgot that one, definitely makes me cringe when I see that.

3 hours ago, drzaius said:

It' has gotten so I find it too stressful watching some of the YouTube 'woodworkers' & they're complete ignorance & disregard for safe practices. It seems like every couple of minutes they are on the verge of cutting something off. I have no problem watching the guys that know what they're doing that don't use the guards & do things that would be dangerous to someone less experienced though.

Now if you want some real pucker power... There are a couple of car shows I watch, one is doing custom cars and the other is more restoration.  Sometimes those guys have to replace a wooden bed in an older pick up and sometimes there may be an older car with a wooden frame.  You let those car guys near woodworking tools and it is truly fright worthy.

• Haha 1