Need Help Finishing Jewelry Box

Hammer5573

I'm completing work on a walnut jewelry box with an oval shaped inlay on the lid. Apparently I didn't notice that I removed too much material from one end under the inlay before the glue up. Now the inlay doesn't sit level, one end is noticeably deeper (about 1/16"). I'm planning to French polish the box and before I start over making a new lid I was wondering if I could use thick, uncut shellac to level it out ….?

While waiting for photos:    The inlay is already glued in place?  I am afraid that you will not be able to fill 1/16" with any finish.  You might consider using epoxy.  But do a test pice first to see if the result are OK.  If that doea not look like it will work I really don't have any other suggestions except for routing the inaly out and making another one. Or makning a whole new top.  That unfortunate.  It happens to the best of us.  Good luck.

I guess for me, learning to dry test is a huge lesson. Find those issues before glue. On the flip, the value of the inlay would have made the choice of fix vs remake for me. Potentially, the grain match of sides to lid would also factor in. 

• Like 2