Makita 2020 Jointer upgraded with Byrd Shelix helical segmented cutter head

Drawdoow

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

Doing this is not on my radar at present. But does anyone know what the reason for having the end cutter set at a different angle?

When the cutter head arrived the first thing I noticed was that end cutter at the “wrong” angle.  What a disappointment. I contact Byrd to let them know about their manufacturing defect and hopefully send me a replacement head quickly.  

Well silly me !.  The cutter is set on an angle on purpose, so that clean rabbet  cuts can be done on the jointer.  With normal use of the jointer the odd angle cutter works just like all the other cutters.   On the Makita 2020, rabbet cuts are limited to a depth of 1/2 inch, then the wood reaches the casting the holds the bearing.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, krtwood said:

Was this a custom order from Byrd or did they just start making them?

Byrd had never made a cutter head for Makita 2020, so they gave me the option of sending them the Makita head and they would make a copy, or I could provide an accurate drawing and they would make a Byrd head from the drawing.  I decided to go the route of providing a drawing for two reasons: 1) it was cheaper that way.  2) I made some adjustments to the dimensions so that the cutting length of the Byrd head is 8.1 inches instead of 8 inches on the original Makita head.  The 8.1 inch length allows the Makita 2020 to now make rabbet cuts.

Now that Byrd has made a head for the Makita 2020, it should become a regular order item.

• Like 2