Planer Recommendations.

rainjer

I am wipe out. I spent 2 days cleaning and rearranging the garage so I have room for it. I got it all assembled tonight and I can’t play with it until Friday.... Tomorrow I have to go help my wife’s grandmother move to her new house. I also need to figure out the chip collection.....

0E78906F-1E2E-4294-9A47-98317CCCD3D4.jpeg

• Like 2

Unless you already know, the next thing is a companion tool of the planer, a jointer. Before the wood gets to the planer, run one face over the jointer first. That will remove twists and dog legs. Don't try to dress the whole board. Better to cut with a little extra to length and width. When dressing a longer board, pick your straightest lumber for that purpose. A crooked long piece may not be thick enough to dress to required thickness. For shorter pieces, crooked dresses out easy.

3 hours ago, curlyoak said:

Unless you already know, the next thing is a companion tool of the planer, a jointer. Before the wood gets to the planer, run one face over the jointer first. That will remove twists and dog legs. Don't try to dress the whole board. Better to cut with a little extra to length and width. When dressing a longer board, pick your straightest lumber for that purpose. A crooked long piece may not be thick enough to dress to required thickness. For shorter pieces, crooked dresses out easy.

I got and restored a jointer last year. 

Being that I literally grew up in a cabinet shop so I a very aware if the milling and the lumber selection process. Because I did not have the planer & jointer (until recently), I have had to adapt my my designs in the past to the tools I had. I am now almost to the point where I have the tools to build stuff how I really want them. I still need to upgrade my drill press. I think the only other big tool I want to get, that I don't already have, is a combo sander. I just don't know that I have the room for one...

• Like 1