Porter Cable ROS

bmchan

I have owned on of these for 10+/- years and to be honest it has seen very little use. The styrofoam pad to which the discs attach blew apart on me recently and I have not been able to determine if I can just replace that part. Anyone have experience with this before?

I have owned on of these for 10+/- years and to be honest it has seen very little use. The styrofoam pad to which the discs attach blew apart on me recently and I have not been able to determine if I can just replace that part. Anyone have experience with this before?

I've replaced both the hook and loop pad and the little belt on both of mine a couple times. I bought mine from a local tool repair shop.

I haven't had to replace the pad on mine (Model 333) but I have replaced the little o-ring belt which required removing the pad. It's a simple process and Porter Cable parts can be ordered online for pretty reasonable prices. It cost more to get the o-ring shipped then the part cost :(

Here's the link I used, just look up your sander model...

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-cable-333-type-random-orbit-palm-sander-parts-c-129_1997_2006.html

-Jim

I had replaced mine about 6trs ago as well, I wonder if the quality on the new ones are the same or if it has deminished?

Nate

I would hold on to the one you have. Quality never seems to go in the a favorable direction. I think it's pretty amazing how long ive had mine now and think of all the sanding ive done with it. It has seen quite a few dusty hours of operation! Not always hooked up to the shop vac.

I have seen those go bad on so many units I just expect it. There is so many things that can effect the foam rubber. Could be sunlight, humidity, or the company that made it. If it was setting outside you expect different wear different than a unit kept in a temperature controlled garage. Just like so many things they are made by the lowest bidder. They order them in massive batches then start the bidding again. The one that came on your unit is most likely the not same one on the shelf.

I suspect that this is the difference you find in a festool. Why is the price higher? Quality control.