Bees!

JohnG

No worries, we have no plans to sell our honey, though we will likely give some away to friends. Everyone can choose how much or how little they manage their colonies. We will probably be more involved with ours when our kids get older and either have an interest in managing the colonies or when we have spare time again.

We haven't had problems with varroa mites so far. All the treatments have varied reviews and claimed efficacy, so it's probably just best to find one that you have readily available and are comfortable using. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

JohnG - how'd your bees do this year? We were exceptionally dry this summer and we ended ~400# off of our target honey crop. The first extraction was wonderful...~300# of beautiful light honey (slightly less yield than expected), the second was even better...~425# of crystal clear, slightly darker honey, and our third extraction was crap...~125# of weird-smelling, bitter, super-low moisture content, crazy sticky honey; 125# sounds like a lot, but I was expecting something closer to 450#. Between late June and mid-October, it rained once... for, like, 15 minutes which set the stage for a lack of fall blossoms. I treated with OA vapor a couple of weeks ago and got mouse guards put on (I know, I'm late to do both), they should be ready for winter now. 

I was talking to a commercial beekeeper friend last weekend and he recommended putting protein supplements on now instead of waiting until late winter. His reasoning was that by Feb, the bees have already evaluated pollen stores and decided how many brood they can raise in anticipation of spring; by putting supplemental protein on now, you can (kind of) stack the deck in your favor by ensuring they have plenty of protein before they do a pollen inventory. Thoughts? Made sense to me and, since I have several protein patties still in the freezer, I'll put them on hopefully this weekend. 

Just like farming...there's always next year. The highlight of the year was that I only got stung 8-10 times and that, my friend, is a win. 

Tom

P.S. I scrolled up and looked at your pictures and noticed that you're wearing leather gloves...have I mentioned my love of 14 mil latex gloves? Yeah, they can sting through them, but you don't get the full shot of venom and it's worth it for the added dexterity. I get them here:

https://www.amazon.com/SAS-Safety-6603-20-Powder-Free-Disposable/dp/B003AQBAOG/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=14+mil+gloves&qid=1667940588&sr=8-3

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...