Ideas for Second Project?

twolip

Okay! I dont know if this is the right thread for this, but im going to go with it.  So after my disaster of a first project with the bench with framing wood/ soft.  :)  i found a guy in town who sells all hardwoods. Mills it and works with farmers and loggers. Supposedly hes kind of the guy in town i guess.  He has a crack-load of stacks of wood drying out, and a kiln, so hes always turning out dry wood.  Anyway off topic, I went over there and found a piece that caught my eye.  Now at first i was thinking about doing a river epoxy table with it.  I don't know if that's frowned upon here haha.  But I love the look of it so much i don't want to cut it.  Id rather make a base for a bench or coffee table with it.  Something that has a more natural look.  Its a piece of walnut 2" thick around 10-14"x 49" .  Anyway any ideas would be appreciated.  I'm sure someone has seen a project before that could create a spark. Thanks for your time.wood2.thumb.jpeg.8c62e86a6b7034b83467f55788e7ff69.jpegwood.thumb.jpeg.7e6fcbeeed36276dd70336672369b503.jpeg  

• Like 1

That is a lovely slab of walnut! As-is, it appears to be a good size for a sofa / hall / console table, sort of long and narrow. Rick's photo is a good example, all you need is a base, and a good finish to make that gorgeous.

Google "George Nakashima" to see some base designs that would look great under that as a live-edged slab.

Or, trim away the sapwood, and make it more traditional. Honestly, though, I love the look of that slab as it is.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, treeslayer said:

Beautiful slab, I’m thinking coffee table , but please don’t screw on metal hairpin legs, I hate those and the slab would cry uncontrollably 

Haha i think beefy legs are the way to go for things.  I think coffee table might have to be it.  There really aren't other uses for it unless im willing to cut it.

Go back to your supplier, and get another 2" thick chunk, and you have legs, then you're gonna need apron material, that should be 4/4.  Soften the ends, too square, looks out of place with that natural edge.  Then, there's always an entry table.  it was made with curly Cherry, as was the bench I showed in the first response.

8340B737-AA9C-4904-90B1-5969C96D151C.thumb.jpeg.ac5b5b018390be66604ccdfcb575969b.jpg

DSC02085.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardA said:

Go back to your supplier, and get another 2" thick chunk, and you have legs, then you're gonna need apron material, that should be 4/4.  Soften the ends, too square, looks out of place with that natural edge.  Then, there's always an entry table.  it was made with curly Cherry, as was the bench I showed in the first response.

that is a beautiful cherry piece! Very nice.  Yea i def cant make something like that.  Maybe down the road when i have some more know how.  Love it tho