Door stop trim removal

legenddc

13 minutes ago, G Ragatz said:

I don't think so - he recognizes that the purpose of a split jamb is to accommodate walls of different thickness, but that's not the OP's issue.  The OP is changing the thickness of his doors, not his walls.  The jambs are fine as-is, but the stop either needs to be narrowed or moved back to allow a proper fit for the new doors.

The wording causes confusion and should be changed. Distinction was not clearly made between the relevant issue and the original purpose of the design. Tom is smart and I have no problem with him. I just don’t think his point is made.  

I'm no expert on split jambs but I think they would be some latitude in wall thickness not enough for the difference of a 2x4 wall or a 2x6 wall variance probably 2 different jambs. But I'm talking about wall thickness because of different finishes, as thickness of drywall 5/8" or 1/2" or, a plastered wall, the wall might have paneling which would not be a standard jamb thickness. But a split jamb would make up for 1/4" or 1/2" variance in wall thickness and not a 2" variance In framing lumber 2x4 vs 2x6 in my experience I've never used a split jamb when I've encountered a wall variance I've padded out the jamb to the 1/4" or 1/2" (or whatever discrepancy we might be talking about) so my door opening trim would not look hinky.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting around to this. I removed 3 door moldings yesterday. Quickest way seems to be starting at the top, cutting in 6" with a multi-tool and then peeling it down with a few pry bars. Seems like I have to do that twice on a side and then anything left protruding can be cut with the multi-tool or a chisel.

Certainly not the most fun I've ever had but the end is in sight.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@legenddc how is your project holding up? I'm facing the exact same thing! Want to add a facade onto my flat doors to make them single-panel, but the doorstop on my split jamb would need to be adjusted somehow. I'm pretty new to carpentry, and though I think I could manage hacking off the old jambs and replacing them to fit the new door width, I'm worried that cutting off the stop from a split panel jamb will make the whole frame/jamb unstable. Was it worth the work? Is it holding up ok?

Everything is holding up well, even with 2 little kids. I think the doors look great. I saved a bunch of money doing it myself but it sure required a LOT of time. Had I known the door trim wasn't easily pulled off I don't know if I would have done it. Also it helped that I already owned all the tools.

None of this was difficult carpentry wise, just extremely time consuming and requires a decent bit of tools. I cut the door trim off with a multi-tool and was usually able to pry it off in a few big chunks once I got it started. It's dusty, even with a vac going. 

• Like 2