Cell Phone Caller Management

Mark J

For the last several days I've been going through the ordeal of changing cell phones.  The fact that I have also changed brands from LG to Samsung has complicated the process. 

I am hoping you folks might be able to help with one particular problem.  There is one number I would like to block from calling, but not block from texting.  With the LG blocking a phone number did just that, the call was blocked, but voice-mail and texting were allowed.  (In fact I never found a way to block texts on the LG).  With the Samsung blocking is all or none, call, VM and text.  At least as far as my internet research has shown.

So first question, do you know of a trustworthy app that will offer this level of blocking control?   Or failing that is there a trustworthy web site that has advice on this issue.  I am very cautious about downloading apps from an unknown source; I probably have only six and most of those are from a product manufacturer.  

My other approach was to try and apply "silent" as a distinctive ring to that phone number, but while silent is available as a general ring tone, it is not available as a choice for a distinctive ring.  Is there such a thing as an app with a silent ring tone?  Is it possible to create one's own ring tone?

@Mark J, the features you as about are generally embedded into each mfg.'s customization of Android OS. You might be able to add an alternative messaging app that let's you block texts or change the notification sound, alternative calling apps are not always as simple. With some technical know-how, you can 'root' the phone and replace the OS with a fully open version, but at the risk of losing features or performance that the customized version provided.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2021 at 9:54 AM, Mark J said:

Is it possible to create one's own ring tone?

Yes it is. Download the Voice Recorder app from the Galaxy app store and use it to create a silent note and change its name accordingly. Then go to settings / sound / ringtones and click on the "+" icon to add the recently created silent note. Note that doing so will set the silent ringtone for all calls, so set it back to whatever it was. Finally go to the ringtone settings on your contact and select the newly created "silent" ringtone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1