Wide belt sander recommendation

namluke

3 hours ago, curlyoak said:

If you google the above, it shows drum sanders.

Semantics. Drums tend to be wrapped, wide belt are literally belts. It is not an edge sander, but it is wide belt face sander. There is no “drum.”  These sanders are driven by rubber spindles that are quite narrow. This is literally the difference between hobby and production. The belt offers much more surface area, so heats less over continuous use, and lasts much longer before change is necessary. 

On 7/3/2021 at 4:12 PM, BillyJack said:

Who services the sander if there is a problem?

Good discussion but Billy's got the key question for a used industrial machine.  There are companies who fix industrial machines of many types as their line of business.  They are not cheap so if you are not a handy guy tuck a little dough away for that rainy day.

I think the only experienced users you may find responding will have happened to work in a shop where this brand was in use.  That is a pretty thin herd.  Good luck.

I've worked with wide belt sanders almost 37 years. Some  easy fixes, others complicated. Power is generally 3 phase. Good name brand belts arent free. Requires a constant air feed and proper DC. 

The last one I used was a two head with planer(SCM). These arent toys. Some sanders  height can be a real problem for a home shop..

The unit mentioned I've never heard off.

If I reme,be correctly, we bought an old AEM sander for $2000. Because it didn't have universal power like new ones we had to have another box for reduced power. Anyway the bad..... the chain that wrapped around all 4 points was bad on one corner which it could be used correctly. The good ..... even if it didn't work the guy said the 25 horse motor was worth $2000.. win/win...

He originally bought a wood master sandr. Waste of time...