Teak or Mahogany

Coop

Sanding is the thing to do, well-sanded up to about 320 grit and DO NOT use anything that will moisten the wood. Wetting is great for showing off the face grain, but it just raises the fibers in the end grain and muddies the details.

Also, you'll need more magnification on the pic. Even fine sanding may not help much if you show the same resolution you show above.

• Thanks 1

I’m thinking the same. I ran one side thru the jointer and didn’t get an oily feeling. I din’t Know if it being that old, that I need to go further down on not? This will be for an outdoor bench leg extensions so mahogany will be almost as good as teak. I will apply a thIn layer of epoxy to the bottom, regardless of the wood. 

• Like 1

Definitely better but I'm puzzled by what I can see of the anatomy and have to dig into this a bit more before I can say anything except that it's definitely not one of the American mahoganies (Cuban or Honduran) since it lacks the marginal parenchyma that is characteristic of those two.

• Like 2

Coop, I have not forgotten about this, I've just had all my energy focused elsewhere. I get like this sometimes where I just don't want to buckle down and do the hard work of digging through a bunch of my wood anatomy material. I WILL get to it.  Someday. Probably. Maybe. Most likely. It's on my list :P

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Paul. I am using a 2” x 1.75 x1.75” of this wood to extend 4 legs of a sitting bench that I am making of cypress that is a little to short. I just wondered about the outdoor usability of this wood and also just curious as to what kind of wood it is. The end grain will be on the bottom of the legs and will be coated with an epoxy buffer. 

• 1 month later...