Wipe On Poly Finish Questions

roughsawn

I've used it before, but gonna try some new things.

I'm wiping on 50/50 poly/mineral spirits, over 2 coats of stain on white oak. How many coats (not real thin) do you think I should build up, so that I have enough to barely sand smooth at the end? Today I knocked off the dust specs by BARELY dragging some 400 grit over the 3rd coat.

What grit should my final sanding be with, and suggestions to clean up the white powder?

Has anyone tried 1/3 poly, 1/3 mineral spirits, and 1/3 boiled linseed oil? Would there be a specific application for that, or just general furniture? Seems interesting to me, and I'm going to try it on my next project.

Rather than trying these things on an actual project, why not cut a few boards to test out the results first? You can quickly try several different mixes and compare dry time, ease of application, feel/look, and durability. If it doesn’t meet your expectations, you can throw it in the trash and move on to something else. If you use it on a project and it doesn’t meet your expectations, you either have to strip and refinish or scrap and rebuild. 

I have tried 50/50 poly and spirits, and the poly / spirits / oil blend as well. I've reverted to using commercial wiping poly, as consistency seems better, and it saves a lot of time. I find that sheen appears at coat#3, most of the time. My current favorite is Minwax 'Tung oil finish'.

IMO, 400 is a bit coarse for final sanding of the finish. I usually hit coat 1 or 2 with 600, and just rub coat 3 and above with brown paper or a white abrasive pad, depending on the gloss required. Tack cloth works well for the sanding powder.

600 grit, and brown paper sounds good. I like using a microfiber towel for sanding powder. Sucks it up pretty good. I know tack cloth is better, tho.

What did you like/dislike about the poly/spirits/oil blend?

I'm thinking for the cartridge holders, that will be handled alot, it might be a good fit. I made some several years ago, and just rubbed them down with boiled linseed oil, and still love the way they feel...years later.

• Like 1

Yes on the test boards; always, always, always.  Be sure to do the full surface prep on your test board just like your actual piece to get a valid read on what your finish is going to do.

That being said, I use a lot of 1:1:1 BLO:MS:varnish with all sorts of variations.  The BLO adds some warmth and pops the figure.  If you are not going to use stain this will give you a good color on many things.

BLO:MS:Modified Phenolic varnish on black walnut:

FWW-post-2.jpg.86c886f3ad58a7fac77cfe5c91612704.jpg

BLO:MS:Oil-based Polyurethane on cherry:

1156469849_MediaCabinet(168).jpg.af3863c7a64deaafb1988787a8dd7d8b.jpg

1:1:1 with a satin poly and a dash of dye to make a new piece match a previous piece in walnut:

1358908764_GnGLowCoD(289).thumb.jpg.d4961d5f50de472986964fd2f9e1aeca.jpg

When I do this type of finish I use a blend that is heavy on MS for the first coat to get penetration and a good seal.  I follow this with however many coats I deem required of a balanced mix to build a film.  I end with a final coat or two (applied very thin) of a blend that is heavy on the varnish for a consistent gloss of the level I'm after.  When in doubt I always go for 'gloss' since I can always adjust the sheen during the "finish the finish" steps.

P.s. I add a bit of Japan Drier to give the BLO a boost towards curing.  I learned this on the pedestal table shown in the first pic.  It took weeks to cure.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, this project that I am now working on, I would like to give a light, one coat application of a lighter stain before I go 1:1:1 poly/ms/blo. Can I put a dash of stain in my mix, or should I apply the stain first, then finish as usual?

Kinda sounds like a dumb question, but I see gee-dub said he added a bit to his project above. I guess I've never tried it.