Greene and Greene Inspired 9 Drawer Dresser

gee-dub

I am on the fence on metal slides.  He did a nice job recessing them so it does look nice and clean.  For a functional item that is used everyday they are very practical.  I have huge humidity swings in my house, about 20% in the winter and 60%+ in the summer, and that is with HVAC running 365, 24/7.  A friction fit drawer simply won't work, I don't care what anyone says. Side hung wood slides do work, but will be loose in the winter.   

Typical undermount slides need a 1/2 deep recess under the drawer bottom. A knotch is cut on both sides at the rear of the drawer and a catch/ locking device is screwed on in both front corners.

Usually either 1/2" or 5/8" thick drawer sides are accommodated . A 5/16 to 3/8 clearance gap is left on both sides of the drawer. It's smart to get the slides first and do a sample/test drawer so you understand the process before you make the drawers.

Blum and Grass make a good product that has adjustments to get the drawer level and plumb. Some of the cheaper off brand undermount slides are harder to install with less or no adjustments. I tried 2 off brands and the savings is not worth the time and frustration.

• Like 2

On July 22, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Lester Burnham said:

How long have you been woodworking, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks Lester.  Long ago and far away I had a small business making sound reinforcement speaker cabinets.  These were basically lock mitered plywood boxes that were coated with fiberglass a-la 1970's Cerwin-Vega.  Nothing much like the furniture I always wanted to make but, junior high woodshop paid off a bit and I managed to keep all my digits.  Life intervened and after a nearly 30 year hiatus I started making furniture about 10 years ago. 

I have a day job so clients need to be patient.  Four months to deliver a relatively complex piece is not unusual.  So far word of mouth keeps me busy but, I hope to retire before I get too tired to enjoy it and make more pieces per year.  This may require a lot of naps but, we'll see ;)

• Like 2

• gee-dub changed the title to Greene and Greene Inspired 9 Drawer Dresser