Greene and Greene Inspired 9 Drawer Dresser

gee-dub

36 minutes ago, C Shaffer said:

Carcass is the structure...the box. Drawers hold stuff. Drawer faces provide a lot of the skin. Dust frames are internal and not seen per se. Carcass does not have literal specific definition. Carcass is figurative like a body without life to it yet. It is more likely to be said of the box and frame without drawers. For drawers it is more likely to be said about a drawer box without an applied front. 

Thanks! I misunderstood and thought it was in reference to something specific about the way the box was constructed.

• 2 weeks later...

He already saw them and gave me a talkin' to earlier in the thread. I appreciated it since it got me thinking.  People who are in my home may think that I would make items for myself even nicer than I might make theirs. The fact that I use certain features or hardware for my own specific purposes could be lost on them. I have had these same thoughts about my shop fixtures. Some of them are pretty utilitarian and visitors could fail to be impressed. I sometimes lose track of the fact that as craftsmen everything about us that relates to our craft speaks to our potential customers. A tip of the hat to Eric for the reminder. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gee-dub said:

as craftsmen everything about us that relates to our craft speaks to our potential customers.

And to your OWN very soul.

I won't pretend that I don't cut corners and half ass things from time to time...but only when it doesn't matter. :)

You do fantastic work, gd.  I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.  You're making informed decisions.  It's personal at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kinds words.  I will get you some better quality pics once I get it in the house.  I enjoy these things and although I thought the mahogany version was my favorite . . . walnut now take the top spot for me.  Of course, I am a sucker for walnut.  Someone better at this than me once said "If its worth making, its worth making out of walnut".  I see finishing this as a win/win; the wife gets more drawer space and I get my shop space back ;-)

On September 4, 2016 at 2:28 PM, C Shaffer said:

Carcass is the structure...the box. Drawers hold stuff. Drawer faces provide a lot of the skin. Dust frames are internal and not seen per se. Carcass does not have literal specific definition. Carcass is figurative like a body without life to it yet. It is more likely to be said of the box and frame without drawers. For drawers it is more likely to be said about a drawer box without an applied front. 

I don't do yoga or transcendental meditation, but this is still very soothing:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • gee-dub changed the title to Greene and Greene Inspired 9 Drawer Dresser