Tools for a first time turner...

Askland09

Hey All!

So I have decided to jump down the turning rabbit hole and need some recommendations for some tools for the first time turner.  Been looking at getting a set of Simple Tool turning tools or should I just bite the bullet and buy a pretty nice set of turning tools right off the bat.  I do have a grinder already so if HSS tools are "the only way to go" I can also learn how to sharpen.  Any suggestions/tips/etc will be much appreciated.

Cheers! 

Luke

I just got a set of rockler carbide tools. I don't plan on turning much so it wasn't worth it to get into the sharpening and all the traditional tool stuff. I have a grinder as well but all the angles and complicated sharpening stuff has turned me off of traditional tools.

I think it depends on if you want to learn traditional tools or not. That may depend on how often your goign to turn and what you want to turn.

I googled simple tool turning tools and got here https://www.simplewoodturningtools.com/ Were these the tools your talking about? The price seems dang good to be honest. The rockler mini set I bought seems like a lot less for more $$$.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:30 AM, Chestnut said:

Were these the tools your talking about?

Absolutely!  I was looking at the mid sized tools just because they would be comfortable for both my father and myself.  The lathe itself is a 14" diameter turning capacity with 46" of length with a 2hp motor so it "can" handle larger pieces but actually doing large pieces is way down the line.  

I don't have a lot of experience turning, With a lathe that size the full size may be a consideration. I know even with my little lathe there have been times with mini tools it gets difficult, where a longer handle would be beneficial. I don't know the cons to a larger handle other than it getting in the way which i feel like isn't that much of a con.

@Mark J Throwing up the bat signal here...... What are the benefits to shorter handeled tools other than nimbleness?

On 2/23/2022 at 10:15 AM, Chestnut said:

I don't know the cons to a larger handle other than it getting in the way which i feel like isn't that much of a con.

Watching some demonstrations on YouTube and general talks about it on other forums I'm seeing that its really up to what the turner is comfortable with when it comes to general work.  And a lot of it has to deal with what kind of leverage you need for the piece you're turning.  Big blank, more leverage, longer handle vs.  small blank, less leverage, smaller handle/tool, etc.  This is my very broad, general understanding of tool selection but I want to start off with something that'll perform well even if it cannot handle every job (if that makes any sense).    

• 2 weeks later...