Built a piece of furniture

BillyJack

Most are trying to get to the finish line, but don't know how to care for it after its done. Most that are finishers know what's in finishes and what shouldn't be used. 

Nobody talks about after care maintenance.  I generally use pre-cats on many pieces but Poly on pieces that can get scratched and will need maintenance. 

• Like 1

We talk about testing finishes to find out what they are. Now that that's been figured out, how will one maintain it. 

When you buy an antique car at an auction with a nice paint job, do you just throw wax and pray or do you try and find out the best way to maintain this antique restoration?

Details my dear Watson, details...

• Like 1

I favored Guardsman for many years.  They changed their formulation and I am glad I have a reasonable supply of the old stuff.  For shellacked surfaces I use a quality paste wax.  For poly and hard varnish surfaces I use the older Guardsman.  I have not really seen a definitive replacement in the forums that cover such things; museums, archivists, etc.

• Like 1