Today in Nashville - The D2P Trade Show! 09-15-22

A Guy In Town

Every time I end up with a 3D printer in an online shopping cart and am about to complete the order I think, “What am I going to make with this?” And then I can’t come up with anything other than little trinkets that will clutter my desk or end up in the trash a week later. Or things that would be easy to make from wood.

For anyone that has one, what do you actually make with it? I really *want* to buy one, I just can’t ever justify it to my accountant self. 

On 9/15/2022 at 7:58 AM, JohnG said:

Every time I end up with a 3D printer in an online shopping cart and am about to complete the order I think, “What am I going to make with this?” And then I can’t come up with anything other than little trinkets that will clutter my desk or end up in the trash a week later. Or things that would be easy to make from wood.

For anyone that has one, what do you actually make with it? I really *want* to buy one, I just can’t ever justify it to my accountant self. 

I can think of a thousand things!  I'd like to re-engineer the flip up center console in my F150.  I want to make it fit the existing lower compartment, but I want to add a cup holder on each side, and a sturdy mount for an iPad for when I want to use that as my GPS device.  I want to redesign touring motorcycle luggage so you can actually PACK them with what you need to carry on a tour, so I can leave the trailer at home.  I want to make some lightweight accessories for my drones.  I want to build custom cases for my guns.  Think outside of the box, and you will begin to see what you can do.  Then the problem will always be, the 3D printer isn't BIG enough :wacko:

Joe

• Like 1

Bob Clagget, of the "I Like to Make Stuff" channel on YT, has several good videos on how to use 3D printing. Individual parts, like replacement seat adjustment levers for his truck, or components that are assembled into larger objects. He makes a lot of cosplay helmets and such. If you are into casting resin or metals, 3D printed mold patterns are awesome. Gor those of us that just prefer to work with wood, I can't see much benefit. I'd get a lot more use from a cnc router or engraver. I'm all for making stuff in different media, but plastic is not my preference.

On 9/15/2022 at 5:58 AM, JohnG said:

For anyone that has one, what do you actually make with it?

I don't have one but they are real popular with model railroaders to make scenery for their layouts.  It wouldn't take long to get your money back compared to the prices of the pre-made scenery that the companies sell.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 4:21 PM, A Guy In Town said:

Well, THAT is interesting!  So ... where do I find the STL files to print the things the model Railroaders want?  My printer is a bit larger than the average home hobby printer, with a 600mm3 build envelope.  I am guessing that I could print some awesome buildings, etc.

Joe

Check out Luke Towan's videos and website. He has some free models I helieve. They're mostly small detail pieces that are hard to get from kits or castings.

On 9/19/2022 at 4:47 AM, wtnhighlander said:

@Chet, you ain't just whistling Dixie! I took Cody to a model rail show in Nashville this summer. If you think woodworking is a money pit of a hobby, you haven't seen anything!

I thought long and hard about model RRing, but as you indicate, it can be an all consuming and expensive hobby. As it is, I've got woodworking and home theater AV as two very expensive hobbies. 

On 9/19/2022 at 3:47 AM, wtnhighlander said:

@Chet, you ain't just whistling Dixie! I took Cody to a model rail show in Nashville this summer. If you think woodworking is a money pit of a hobby, you haven't seen anything!

On 9/20/2022 at 7:09 AM, drzaius said:

I thought long and hard about model RRing, but as you indicate, it can be an all consuming and expensive hobby. As it is, I've got woodworking and home theater AV as two very expensive hobbies. 

I have a very small "N" gauge set up with no scenery at this point.  Even in N Gauge the locomotive I have was around $200.  I got it to have something to do when the weather won't let me be in the shop.  I am looking at building some of the scenery using wood scrapes from the shop.  Making up some veneers that I can then cut with an exacto knife and straight edge in the warmth of my home for small buildings.  It may not be show worthy but it should keep me entertained. 

• Like 1

I have a couple of colleagues that are heavy into model RR. They shared the story of their visit to a recently deceased fellow's home, where his survivors were saddled with trying to unload a 30' x 40' building, entirely filled with a giant and complex O-scale layout, and a very large inventory of extra stock / track / scenery. This guy had a museum-level setup, including light and sound control that allowed him to display various weather scenes at will. And it was all straight DC wired, no digital control.

My friends spent almost 3 hours there helping the widow get everything working correctly, so she could display it to potential buyers. They did take a few items off her hands.

Imagine you have a very large hobby workshop, well appointed with machines, and they are ALL hard-piped to DC, hard-wired to power, and bolted to the floor AND walls. Now you have to move.  That begins to approach the level of effort needed to dismantle and disperse a large layout like that.