Worst assembly instructions

sbarton22

I just brought a shiny new Powermatic 14" bandsaw (Thank you 1st time home buyer credit). I just spent the last 3 hours adjusting and readjusting and then readjusting to get the fence level and square to the blade. I get to the last instruction...

Now time to adjust the trunnion.

WHAT THE HECK?!?!

They would that not be the very first adjustment??? All that work goes right out the window.

Funny (to me) story for you:

I had a job I was going through training for. They gave us a test, and the verbal instructions they gave us was to read through the whole test before starting. There were maybe 20 questions. I got bored around question 12, and started working on the test. Question 20 was "Only follow questions 1, 2, and 3."

And yes, I was the only one who failed to read all of the questions. The rest of the class appreciated the 20 minute break, however.

Don't feel bad about the mix-up on the instructions. Like it was stated earlier, you got practice. You also got a practical lesson in taking your time. And here's hoping you don't have much work to (re)do.

You are absolutely right. I should have read the whole thing first. I find if I do that, I tend to jump ahead and work in a more left-to-right or top-to -bottom sequence. I have learned to quell that desire and to go step by step.

To be totally honest, it really only took me about 30 minutes to completely realign every single component, and I'll even bet it was more accurate. My test cut was paper thin...no drift.

Funny (to me) story for you:

I had a job I was going through training for. They gave us a test, and the verbal instructions they gave us was to read through the whole test before starting. There were maybe 20 questions. I got bored around question 12, and started working on the test. Question 20 was "Only follow questions 1, 2, and 3."

And yes, I was the only one who failed to read all of the questions. The rest of the class appreciated the 20 minute break, however.

Don't feel bad about the mix-up on the instructions. Like it was stated earlier, you got practice. You also got a practical lesson in taking your time. And here's hoping you don't have much work to (re)do.

That gets into those Knights and Knaves logic problems a bit. If you follow question 20 and only follow questions 1, 2 and 3, then you weren't supposed to follow question 20.