Epoxy floor ... gloss or satin?

Jfitz

For those of you who have gone the epoxy route, what surface did you go with - satin or gloss?  I'm getting my small basement shop done, and the garage will be done in a few weeks (weather permitting).  I went with a 'gray' epoxy with flakes, but I'm torn on the finish.  No need for garage and shop to be the same, so any and all advice welcome.

I guess my question would be, would the gloss finish be more slippery?  If there is some sawdust on the floor do I have a better chance of slipping and landing on my butt with the gloss finish vs. the satin.  Same for melted snow or water on the garage floor.

Also how glossy is the gloss?  I don't think I would want the reflection from my shop light staring back at me from the floor.

• Like 2

thanks all. 

Had a good conversation with the epoxy guy.  I'm going with satin in the basement - it's less reflective, and not as smooth - will retain a little"grip", which should help with the slipperiness concerns.  it's less durable than the glossy - thinner material, less solids - but I think that should be OK.  He did stronly suggest the gloss in the garage simply because it's more durable, so we'll do that in the spring.

Aren't the flakes the bigger contributor to traction than the surface sheen? I'd bet satin is a bit more gripy but those flakes are nice.

I really want to have my shop and garage done at some point. My garage floor is getting pretty pitted from salt. It also seems near impossible to keep it clean. I can sweep the same spot 4 times and get a dust pile each time.

On 12/22/2022 at 5:01 PM, pkinneb said:

Yes they are

Ye, they are - assuming they are not 'covered'.  Apparently the gloss topcoat is a thicker material that will 'fill' more on top of the flakes.

I went with the satin and I am glad I did.  there is just enough texture and grip to it that I don't expect issues if there is a little sawdust on it.  And it's a little shiny but not too bad.

• Like 1

It seems to me that whether or not the flakes make a difference in surface texture would be how thick the top coat is.  I can't figure out why a satin top coat would be thinner than gloss.  I'm planning to do one myself this Spring, but have not done one before, so just wondering.

This is the company I'm planning to go with.  They have some good videos on there somewhere.

https://www.spartanepoxies.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

On 12/23/2022 at 11:19 AM, Tom King said:

I can't figure out why a satin top coat would be thinner than gloss

As it was explained to me, they use a different material.  The satin is a thinner material, and the one they use for gloss is a thicker more viscous material.  It was also said the gloss is more durable to abrasion, etc - so I'll put that in the garage.