Canada eh?

Renzo

Yeah, i'm thankful we have a Lee Valley store :) (i think perhaps the original one)

It's annoying we can't really order much from amazon, and don't have Woodcraft or Rockler though.

They have a bench im considering. It's in store only and on for $475. it's 72" long with bench and tail vise.

post-242-061165900 1281843224_thumb.jpg

Wow, so that's a cell phone shot of the inside of a Lee Valley store... never been to a real store. Looks like a candy shop.

'

Hahah, yeah i think Ottawa may be the home of the Original store and the veritas "factory" is right beside.

It's a bit weird though. They have almost everything behind glass display cases (even the cheap stuff) and you fill out an order form with the SKU from either the display or from the bank of catalogues they have. You goto the counter and give them the form (usually you have to take a number and wait). They assemble your products bring it over to the cash and they call your name when the items are ready.

'

Hahah, yeah i think Ottawa may be the home of the Original store and the veritas "factory" is right beside.

It's a bit weird though. They have almost everything behind glass display cases (even the cheap stuff) and you fill out an order form with the SKU from either the display or from the bank of catalogues they have. You goto the counter and give them the form (usually you have to take a number and wait). They assemble your products bring it over to the cash and they call your name when the items are ready.

D'oh! I hate that... we had different retail stores out here that were that "catalog store" style. First time, it's interesting cuz it's different and you want your plastic tub of stuff come down the roller conveyor belt. All the other times, you wonder why it takes so *$%# long!

Don't like the glass idea either. Gotta let people handle the stuff.

Okay, I'm over it now...

'

We just got one a year and a bit ago in Victoria, BC. What a treat! They had their biggest opening ever (according to Robin Lee, their President during a presentation to our woodworkers' guild (www.viwg.com)...it is truly a mecca for us woodworking types and besides the "gardener" in my house likes to tag along just to see what she can get...LOL

Cheers.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Woodie in Edmonton.

We have the Lee Valley here as well and it is a treat. A lot of the displays are open and can be touched. Many are under glass but if a person wanted to handle anything that is under glass, the staff are very accommodating.

As a matter of fact, I bought a Record quick release vice and it failed. the store I bought it from did nothing to help. Lee Valley staff spent a lot of time helping me with the problem and even took me into the back to examine several similar vices that had been returned.

We used to have House of Tools but they went the way of the Dodo bird. We have four other outlets in addition to the big box stores who seem to specialize in tool ignorance.

Woodie

Hi there from Todd in Sault Ste Marie

Ok you guys can stop rubbing it in about having Lee Valley in your back yards, i have at least an 8 hr drive to get to one. Good thing their shipping is quick :D But at least i can order from the States and have it shipped across the river here in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan, nice to be on the boarder :P

Well it would be nice to meet up with some other local woodworkers if they are on here.

Hello from Calgary, but soon to be Salt Spring Island.

In the process of building a timber frame house, and just finished building a 30x40 ft shop to house the tools, so I am definitely looking forward to going out to the island. I will be doing all of the interior work (kitchen cabinets, built-ins, millwork, etc), and I was able to convince my wife that I needed a Felder CF741S to do the work, and it arrived just a few days ago. It is a beautiful thing.

I'd agree that LV is a great thing to have nearby, although it can be quite hard on the bank account. I was pretty happy to hear that they opened a store in Victoria.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Howdy from Victoria, BC

Having been a longterm Lee Valley customer while living in Vancouver, it was great to see them open a store in Victoria. As Johnny Vee said above, all reports were this store opening was their busiest and most profitable. Down the street from LV is KMS Tools with often the same items so comparison pricing is easy.

Now that I`m aware Marc gets a percentage from Amazon.com I`ll definitely be exploring buying through The Wood Whisperer link in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Howdy from Victoria, BC

Having been a longterm Lee Valley customer while living in Vancouver, it was great to see them open a store in Victoria. As Johnny Vee said above, all reports were this store opening was their busiest and most profitable. Down the street from LV is KMS Tools with often the same items so comparison pricing is easy.

Now that I`m aware Marc gets a percentage from Amazon.com I`ll definitely be exploring buying through The Wood Whisperer link in the future.

P

Sorry, I just noticed this posting. Amazon.com is great but will not ship tools outside the USA and amazon.ca hasn't got it's act together on the tool front...