Canada eh?

Renzo

OK, who here is Canadian?

I'm in Ottawa.

Well I'm from Ottawa (Gloucester to be precise), but I haven't lived there since '89 when I moved to Toronto for school, eventually made my way further south and I'm now in Dallas. But I get back every once in a while, supposedly to see family, but we all know it's really to visit the Lee Valley store ;).

Wow, so that's a cell phone shot of the inside of a Lee Valley store... never been to a real store. Looks like a candy shop.

It's...odd is probably the best way I can think of. If you're old enough to remember the old Consumers stores it's similar to them, except it has display racks for a bunch of stuff. But you fill out a little slip, hand it in at one counter, they go to the warehouse and get it, put it on a conveyor to the cash register.

Howdy all.

I live in Kaleden, B.C. for half the year and the warm half of the year in Rock Creek where I spend most of my time playing with my Norwood mill, milling fir and lately a little birch. All my LV experience is on line as there is virtually nothing in my area in the way of a decent woodworking store. I recently got a few things from Woodcraft as they had free shipping to Canada in December, and LV also had the same so got a couple of things through them as well. Nice to see the competition competing. Is there anyone else out there from Southern B.C.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I live in mid-town Toronto and am now "retired" to putter around and chase my whims... Generating sawdust is something I'm learning to do. Perhaps some furniture making will follow. Although I own a few power tools, I really enjoy the quiet feel of doing work by hand. I've access to a lot of white pine and eastern white cedar in Temagami. My favourite finishing is with shellac (flakes and denatured ethyl alcohol from John Goudey Mfg, Toronto) and I'm currently exploring the amazing capabilities of hide glue. I can feel the momentum building... Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ah I think i'm the only one from the east.... Ha la belle province... Quebec City guys... And i know about the "frogs" jokes... Great to see that we are a bunch of canadians on the forum and to make amend with my lack of practice of the Shakespeare language, my wife was living in the Ottawa area when i met her, so i do know what a Lee Valey store look like... lol

Alain,

You're not alone in the East. My shop is in St. Pierre-les-Becquets between Trois-Rivières and Quebec City on the South shore of the St. Lawrence river. I am trying to build wooden boats in my small shop. Lately, I have started building simple furniture and I am looking to go to the next level.

A la revoyure!

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

So far it looks like I might be the only one from Central Ontario (Just North of Barrie). I've never been to a LV store, I do remember the old Consumers Distributing stores though. Ahh, the memories. LOL

There is a Busy Bee Tools in Barrie that is not too bad. Not very knowledgeable people out there though from the ones I've talked to.

So far it looks like I might be the only one from Central Ontario (Just North of Barrie). I've never been to a LV store, I do remember the old Consumers Distributing stores though. Ahh, the memories. LOL

There is a Busy Bee Tools in Barrie that is not too bad. Not very knowledgeable people out there though from the ones I've talked to.

I think if you dig through the forum you'll find someone else from your area, I don't recall who it is offhand, but someone hails from Penetanguishene.

Trail BC here. Go Canucks :)I run a shop for adults with significant barriers to employment. I am self taught but also have access to Bill. Bill is the retired shop teacher from the local high school. He volunteers at the shop. I am a lucky guy I get to combine two passions in one job. Helping others and woodworking. I am glad I found this site it has been a great resource so far and I am just getting started here.

• 3 weeks later...

Pickering ON, nice and close to the Lee Valley Scarborough location. B)

Hey Mike I live in pickering too. I love having Lee Valley nice and close. I just got some awesome stuff from there today. Crazy that in this international group of people there are two people from the little city that is Pickering.

• 3 weeks later...

Kingston, Nova Scotia here, but have lived in Kamloops, Kingston Ontario, Winnipeg as well. I never really took up woodworking until I finally had a house with a garage (ehem, I mean shop).

It's great that we have these online forums to connect with other woodworking, but I wish there were more of my neighbours or friends who shared the same interest. Some times it's nice just to hang out in the shop and shoot the breeze.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...