Do you sign your work?

Texfire

Wondering if people sign their work, and if so how? If you don't, why not?

I'm thinking of getting a custom stamp made with some sort of design incorporating my initials, but I'm sure there's many more ways to go about putting on you maker's mark. Wood burning, name plate, cartouche, braille are a couple that come to mind.

I had a friend suggest I should do something like that. Dismissed the thought initially, but then decided to go half way. For much of my long graphics career I had a diamond with my name inside as a logo. Became known as “The Buhl Diamond.” So these days I do either an inlay diamond [or carve a diamond on smaller pieces] sans name – just the diamond – somewhere underneath, out of view except from the most limber prying eyes. Or underside of a case top, so it is visible for those looking from odd angles.

On occasion I will incorporate the diamond as a design element such as on serving trays. I'm willing to go nameless, but at times I think it would be nice to have the year included in some obscure manner. Perhaps someday.

For me personally, a stamp or other store bought gizmo just seems too Rockler-esque. But that does seem quite popular.

I wonder about longevity of a sharpie, even the "waterproof-permanent" ones.

Because one usually does this underneath a surface or inside a drawer or some other out of the way location, it seems even if ones carving skills are limited, that would be a more personal mark. And if one did it enough the skills would probably develop, which is another way of dating a piece for the expert curator in the far future.

I am curious if others don't sign in any way. Out of a decision rather than just haven't bothered.

So far everyone who has posted, signs in some manner.

Good query.

I had a similar dilemma a while back as I wanted something unique.

I looked at using a sharpie, getting a custom brand, or using a custom printed wooden nickel inlay, but decided on a custom made metal coin.

The antique gold color, 1.5” diameter, one-sided metal coins display my name, logo and email. Using a sharp 1.5” forstner bit, I drill an inset about 1/16” deep in an out of the way location, then fix the coin in place with CA glue.

I know it sounds expensive, but I purchased 100 coins for $200, plus a one-time $50 mold fee. If you look at some of the custom electric branding irons (with limits on size and design), you’ll find you’re in the same price range.

Lots of coin makers are available, but I was really happy with the service and quick turnaround from Vanguard, www.vanguardmil.com.

All good ideas. I too have considered carving my name instead and have done that on gift carvings, but that may be more involved than I want on most pieces. Woodburning might be an option, do you do it before applying the finish or does it matter?

I have an electric custom wood brand, it has my name and symbol in the center. And the best part is that it was made by a company right here in Michigan. I think it provides a good way to sign your work as it won't get lost like a business card or potentially forgotten if all the client has is your name. And besides, we want our name on our work when the archaeologists of the future unearth our creations.

As far as signing with a wood burner, or brander, etc it seems to me that it is most safe to do before applying the final finish due to all the resins and oils you find in finishes. Even if they are "safe when cured" I don't think it's worth the risk of heating them up. Just my two cents.

I always put my initials and year made on every item I've made. I used to use a dremel with a round ball to engrave but now I use a wood burning tip in an iron to "sign" my initials. A guy in my woodturning group recommended that to put the wood species on turned items because sometimes you forget.....

Tim