Oscillating Spindle Sander. Jet/Grizzly or???

Vic

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to pull the shaper out of my shop and replace it with an oscillating spindle sander. I've looked at both the Jet and Grizzly floor models and see no difference between the two other than the Jet is taller and weighs two more pounds.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Paul, these are both cabinet models. I have a Rigid and it is a great value. I just need a larger model. I know Marc loves his, but I'm guessing it's gonna come in at a higher dollar amount and I can't see any real difference, hence the request for recommendations.

Hey Vic,

I don't know anything about the Jet model.....since I'm a Grizzly fan. I do have the Grizzly spindle sander and love it. It's easy to change spindles and is very solid. Good dust collection as well. You'll like the Grizzly model.

I'm heading to Springfield this weekend and will be stopping by Grizzly for sure. If we lived close I'd pick one up for you.

I think they have a cyclone dust collector just waiting for me to buy it.

I don't have either one but looking at the spec's they are almost identical. The one thing I like about the Grizzly is that you can switch it to 220 if you want but I like the power switch better on the Jet. I don't think you could go wrong on either one. The thing I can't help but wonder is how long the guy that has to count the oscillations per minute keeps his sanity! Good luck.

Nate

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to pull the shaper out of my shop and replace it with an oscillating spindle sander. I've looked at both the Jet and Grizzly floor models and see no difference between the two other than the Jet is taller and weighs two more pounds.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Both Jet and Grizzly products are made in asia (either entirely or at least the parts are) and then shipped over here. Sometimes they are even made in the same factory and just change the paint job (one of their bandsaws are done this way). I have never noticed a substantial quality difference between one companies products as compared to the other. I have however noticed a significant price increase pretty much across the board on Jet products. I'd be reluctant to buy from them simply for that reason alone, but that is just a personal preference.

Both Jet and Grizzly products are made in asia (either entirely or at least the parts are) and then shipped over here. Sometimes they are even made in the same factory and just change the paint job (one of their bandsaws are done this way). I have never noticed a substantial quality difference between one companies products as compared to the other. I have however noticed a significant price increase pretty much across the board on Jet products. I'd be reluctant to buy from them simply for that reason alone, but that is just a personal preference.

That's why I soliciting advise. From the specs, they seem to be almost identical. So, I'm sure I'll end up getting the Grizzly.

I picked up the Jet benchtop sander today since it was the last day of their 15% off sale at Woodcraft.

I have both machines - the grizzly and the jet. On the jet, I have had problems with the spindles freezing in place making them impossible to remove. It was under warranty and jet did replace the machine. The Jet book doesn't mention greasing the spindles each time you add a new one, but it has prevented it from freezing up. Grizzly actually recommends adding grease to the spindle each time you change it which is where I got this idea. Word to the wise - grease those spindles.

What I found was odd - Jet and grizzly spindles rotate in different directions when running. I would have thought rotation direction would have been the same on all machines.

SQ