What is the best type of mask for woodworking?

Toya

I have been through several iterations of masks.  I do not like being blind in my peripheral areas.  This is a problem with typical half mask / cartridge formats for my long, narrow face.  The cartridges block my natural site-lines below and to the sides.

My favorite AO Safety mask was discontinued when 3M gobbled them up.  My eventual alternative is the Miller.  I keep one for dust and one for finishes and keep plenty of spare filters around.

Unfortunately they became quite popular about 10 years ago and the price has doubled.  They are still at the low end of the price range for a good mask but I am glad I have a good stock of filters ;-)

The mask fits well, does not interfere with my prescription safety glasses or ear muffs and is quick-on, quick-off.  A mask fit and comfort is very dependent on your head shape so I cannot vouch for a good fit for you.  The good news is that Amazon and Home Depot sell them so if the fit isn't good you can return them.

You need a mask that supports filters that work for the environment you will be in.  For wood dust and the finishes I use the Miller p-100 filters are fine.  Other vapors require specialized filter media so check your products that you use and filter accordingly.

• Like 1