Support Post

Coop

I will be having a carport built that will extend from the front of my house. There will be two 8” x 8” support post on each side. There will be a 24” deep pier under each post that will extend an extra 6” above grade. I’m torn between setting the post directly into the concrete or using a mechanical post support/connector that is secured into the concrete pier and bolted to the post. I am taking precaution from ground contact by using the extra 6” above grade but past experience with wood fence post set into concrete just doesn’t sit well. I’ve Googled the mechanical connectors but you get what you get. Anyone have experience with any of these? 

I'd go with the connector. Wood posts set into concrete, without drainage below the post, will retain moisture in the 'cup' formed by the concrete, and eventually rot.

An anchor 'bolt' set into the concrete can act as a simple stud. A hole in the end of the post slips over it, and gravity holds everything in place. Makes for a clean appearance, but might not be allowed by local building codes.

• Like 2

I built a lake house with a treated timber framed porch on it in 1983.  The porch "columns" are 12x12x16 treated.  I used the same type of hidden steel strap that I was talking about earlier in the bottoms of those posts, only instead of exposed concrete piers, I built brick piers around the steel straps. 

One of the four posts twisted over a period of several years a few degrees.  It not only didn't split and took the steel strap with it, but it twisted the whole pier with it, including the bricks, and no mortar joint cracked.  

That house is a few hundred yards from our house, and is now occupied by the third owner, who is a dear friend who spent a lot of time visiting my Mother while she was living with us.

That house has brick ends, and White Oak board on board siding on the road front and lake front, put up with screws from the inside so there are no fasteners on the outside of the house.  It was a good sized house for here in 1983 when I built it, but now is dwarfed by two gigantic multi-million dollar monstrosities on both sides.

That was one of the few houses that I sold where the buyer wrote me a check for it right there, after looking at it for the first time.

• Like 2