Drawer spacers

I'm making some drawer spaces to add some pullout drawers to some of our kitchen cabinets. Wondering how you all make spacers if you need to push a drawer slide out to clear a face frame.

Some pictures of my cabinet with the plastic spacer that was previously there and a wood one I'm testing.

IMG_5607.thumb.jpeg.0e0e2bf41c3a752ea157dda12d4d6ef7.jpegIMG_5606.thumb.jpeg.e3f332eea515116cc083c6ef9dd1cdd2.jpeg

• Like 2

On 2/6/2024 at 10:49 AM, gee-dub said:

I just add a full length strip of scrap.

Vertically or horizontally?

I'm changing the slides on a few already existing pullouts so I have to match up the spacing. For the pullouts I'll be making I will try to use some scrap plywood to get the spacing.

@legenddc - Horizontally.  I really thought I had a better picture.  Sorry about that.  I know some are comfortable with a single slide screw into the face frame and a screw or two into a bracket mounted to 1/4" material at the rear and nothing in between.  I need more screws in my slides to feel confident in a long term, trouble free service life.  Probably just a symptom of the inexperienced. 

If the cabinet side is 7/8" deeper than the face frame I will use a piece of scrap pine or maple milled to 15/16" thickness.  It doesn't have to be super precise. Most slides allow a pretty good amount of wiggle room. There is plenty of available real estate between the slide screw hole positions to place screws mounting the spacer to the cabinet side or divider. 

For double door cabinets with no divider, I will add one to allow a pair of pull outs.  I have had and currently have some really wide pullouts and don't care for them.  They are already wobbly by nature and then tend to get overloaded which exacerbates the problem . . . Wow, the coffee must have kicked in :lol:

• Like 2

I asume you are using the drawer slides in the bottom picture. If it is KV brand then it is 8400 model. I am familiar with it. The hardware takes up 1/2" per side. So your box needs to be 1" less than the opening. But I go an extra 1/16" and shim as needed. the box and hardware must be parallel. If you have a stack of drawers do the top one first. After you have your spacers in and parallel. Use a piece of 3/4  plywood that temporarily sets on the cabinet bottom for alignment . Set your hardware  On the top edge of plywood for perfect alignment. On both sides. Then the next drawer down with a new dimension to the plywood. And so on...The last drawer use the bottom with a piece of 1/4" plywood or something similar.

PS if your slides must be set back you might want to get hardware that gives extra extension.

• Like 1

@gee-dub - Thank you! I'm with you, I'd rather install a few extra screws just in case. These drawers are around 26" wide. I'm replacing the Euro slides with full extension soft close slides. Additionally I'll make another pull out for this cabinet.

The other cabinets getting the pullouts I can get by with a spacer just big enough to clear the face frame.

@BillyJack - Now I wish I had asked earlier. Those are exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find the correct thickness to match the drawers currently there. I thought I had checked everywhere. I'll tally up how many I need and place an order later today. Saves me a bunch of time milling up maple for spacers.

I’m had customers on reface jobs want adjustable shelves in their 20 year old pantry. I’d take a shelf drill jig, drill tye holes. Use the appropriate plastic boot based on with and make rollouts the could move up and down..

On mine I decided I didn’t want to wait on plastic boots to come in, so I made them from wood..

Ordered them last night. Wasn't sure on the size euro screw to order but they were cheap enough to buy all 3 sizes. I can't tell you the number of different places I looked at spacers and couldn't find the correct size.

I intended on using the KV face frame mounts but the pre-existing pull outs have the face extending in front of the slide so that pushed them out too far.

Normally, I would do horizontal spacers but I'm sure these drawers will need to be shifted as whatever we need to put on them changes.

On 2/7/2024 at 7:51 AM, legenddc said:

Ordered them last night. Wasn't sure on the size euro screw to order but they were cheap enough to buy all 3 sizes. I can't tell you the number of different places I looked at spacers and couldn't find the correct size.

I intended on using the KV face frame mounts but the pre-existing pull outs have the face extending in front of the slide so that pushed them out too far.

Normally, I would do horizontal spacers but I'm sure these drawers will need to be shifted as whatever we need to put on them changes.

What did you end up ordering?