Dust Collector Upgrade!

Botch

Same! I have one of those old Jet double bag collectors. It's better than nothing but you won't catch me using it without a respirator. Would be nice to capture finer particles so the air levels can return to normal quicker.

Yep. the science is the science.  1 micron is small but not small enough to be harmless.  As always with dust collection, do the best you can.  A 1 micron filter will leave a nice layer of super small particles all over everything but certainly kicks butt on a 5 micron bag. 

Just slip on a respirator while in that air space and you will probably do fine.  Getting "healthy" quality air returned into the work area is a challenge for any small shop.  I think we all notice the trend of people striving for ever better dust collection solutions.

I use a P-100 nuisance filter like the Miller or an old AO Safety that I like.  Where folks tend to run into trouble is in not changing filter elements when dirty, not washing washable filters, or not disposing of disposable ones.  We use a lot of "wear parts" in the shop.  Abrasives, blades, filters; toss them when their life is over.  You will get better results and live happier :)

• Like 2