Great quote

After struggling to get my glue up square tonight and getting it close but not perfect, I was watching a Tommy Mac Bombe Secretary video and he said:

"Don't be afraid to just use your tools and just let it be what it is."

Wise words.

After struggling to get my glue up square tonight and getting it close but not perfect, I was watching a Tommy Mac Bombe Secretary video and he said:

"Don't be afraid to just use your tools and just let it be what it is."

Wise words.

In my opinion though, that's not meant to give an excuse to be lazy. (I'm not saying you are here either) We still need to strive to do our best and to improve from the last project in order to continue to grow as WWers.

In my opinion though, that's not meant to give an excuse to be lazy. (I'm not saying you are here either) We still need to strive to do our best and to improve from the last project in order to continue to grow as WWers.

It speaks to me because I find myself sometimes paralyzed by the pursuit of perfection. Being fairly novice, the wall hanging cabinet guild build is the most complex thing I've ever built. I've had to remind myself a couple times so far that there is more to be learned by working through the mistakes and finishing the project than scrapping it 1/4 of the way through and starting over.

Another eye opening moment was watching the video where Marc cleans up his dovetails. He starts by saying "I don't know about you but my dovetails never come out perfect." I did a double take. "Wait! YOUR dovetails never come out perfect!"

As they say: "perfect is the enemy of good."

(man this has been a "quotey" post)

It speaks to me because I find myself sometimes paralyzed by the pursuit of perfection. Being fairly novice, the wall hanging cabinet guild build is the most complex thing I've ever built. I've had to remind myself a couple times so far that there is more to be learned by working through the mistakes and finishing the project than scrapping it 1/4 of the way through and starting over.

Another eye opening moment was watching the video where Marc cleans up his dovetails. He starts by saying "I don't know about you but my dovetails never come out perfect." I did a double take. "Wait! YOUR dovetails never come out perfect!"

As they say: "perfect is the enemy of good."

(man this has been a "quotey" post)

Then if you're being quotey, use the quote I have as my auto-signature. I try to use that as the basis for all things I do.

I live my life by quotes. One I heard a while ago, and paraphrase often, is: "Perfection does not exist in nature, but it hasn't stopped humans from trying. It is the pursuit of perfection that makes it better."

Then my father has a saying: "practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect."

So lately, I've been living by these two quotes...

My wife was telling me about an American Indian tribe that did woodworking in addition to other crafts and on every piece created an intentional flaw. I'm nowhere near the point of needing to do that but, although I'm extremely OCD, I've found it isn't nearly as difficult for me to allow a flaw in my woodworking. At least it doesn't eat me up like the many other pursuits of my life where I REQUIRE perfection.