Are these chair parts commercially available?...

I have an idea for something new that I want to make and if I can find someone who sells these particular parts it would make going into production so much easier.  I'll picture them below but the two parts I'm interested in is the leg of an older style chair as well as the top back brace.   The leg has a good bend to it and the top brace is 'bent' as well and tapers from the bottom to the top.  Any idea where I should start looking to find these parts?  Thanks.

PS.  Sorry, I kept getting 'file size too large' when I was uploading so I had to cut out most of my pictures to get them to send.

PPS.  In the case these parts aren't commercially available how I would go about making them?

crop 1.jpg

crop 2.jpg

Hi bradleyheathhays! Have you tried searching for salvage yards or shops that restore antique furniture? They frequently carry an assortment of vintage chair parts that may be just what you're searching for. If they're not readily available in stores, you might think about doing some woodworking or even asking bespoke furniture makers for tips on how to construct your own. I hope your project turns out well!

• Like 2

On 4/13/2024 at 10:11 AM, Von said:

I don't think this is quite what you are looking for, but https://mattcremona.com/product-category/chair-kits

Not exactly, but I'm glad to know there are furniture chair kit producers out there.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:29 AM, wtnhighlander said:

Chair parts like that are traditionally steam bent. The back rail might also be made as a bent lamination, thin layers pressed in a form whike the glue sets.  The spindle parts can also be made that way, but the time & effort to shape them is higher. The back rail can even be carved out of a thick board, but the spindles would be weakened by grain run-out, so carving them from larger sticks is not recommended.

Thanks for the advice wtnhighlander.  Could you explain some about what grain run-out is?  I haven't heard that term before.

On 4/16/2024 at 4:45 AM, dwilliam said:

Hi bradleyheathhays! Have you tried searching for salvage yards or shops that restore antique furniture? They frequently carry an assortment of vintage chair parts that may be just what you're searching for. If they're not readily available in stores, you might think about doing some woodworking or even asking bespoke furniture makers for tips on how to construct your own. I hope your project turns out well!

Many thanks!

• Like 1

@bradleyheathhays, 'grain run-out' typically refers to areas of a board or stick where the grain is not parallel to the long dimension of the piece, so the grain lines 'run out' of the edge or face. In the case of a chair leg, it is far more likely to break where the grain lines run out, because the long cellulose fibers are not continuous through that area. This is key to the structural integrity of any wooden object, and must be considered carefully where failure carries a high risk of injury, such as if a chair leg breaks while you are sitting in the chair.

Anyone with experience building windsor-style chairs will confirm that spindle parts riven (split) from a straight grained log are far less likely to fail than spindles turned from a sawn board, even if the board is also straight grained. All because riven sticks have very little grain run out.

• Like 2

Hey Bradley. building chairs is the pinnacle of woodworking!It is not a starting place for woodworking. It is a goal after many years to graduate to. If the reason you want the parts that is compelling and a must have right now, then hire a skilled chair builder. If it is not something that is needed right now something you want to do then different path is needed. Find your way to get the experience. hire on as a helper for cabinet making as a start. This is not the only path. but to make chair parts that fit and look right you are on a long journey.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 6:25 AM, curlyoak said:

Hey Bradley. building chairs is the pinnacle of woodworking!It is not a starting place for woodworking. It is a goal after many years to graduate to. If the reason you want the parts that is compelling and a must have right now, then hire a skilled chair builder. If it is not something that is needed right now something you want to do then different path is needed. Find your way to get the experience. hire on as a helper for cabinet making as a start. This is not the only path. but to make chair parts that fit and look right you are on a long journey.

Yessir your note is Very well taken.  Thank you.

• Like 1