Marc's a Great Teacher

Keggers

I don't have room for a nice chop (or radial) saw set up for breaking down longer stock. Used to either spend lots of time setting up rollers or extra carts to use table saw. Or would use the circular saw and more rustling up carts or rollers. With jig saw laying long stock on table saw and outfeed table (on wheels) with cutting gap between, the jig saw is easy and comfortable. Guess it is similar to circular saw, but less stress. Think of our little Marc every time I use this procedure.

I appreciated the shop safety video where he talks about his close calls and blood blisters. Excellent.

I also enjoyed the run down on past projects and how they were holding up.

I thought the trestle table series, especially the prototyping and modification of the initial design to be very helpful. Too often I would get down on myself if I deviated from the print, even if it was something I sketched out on graph paper 5 minutes before starting work. Now I can see that the print is there to help, but the end result is THE thing.

Very fortunate to have found this site. Thanks Marc!

I'm so new to woodworking it would be hard to number the things I've learned watching the videos, but the top of the list has already been mentioned. I was paralyzed by too much information when it came time to start a first project. I was afraid of making a mistake that I wouldn't be able to fix, of being wrong. By making little mistakes, and not editing them out to appear like some woodworking god, Marc made me realize that while planning is important, just as important is being able to improvise when you make the inevitable mistake. It's okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn from each one, and sometimes a mistake leads in an unexpected direction where you never saw yourself headed.

It's okay to make mistakes, as long as you learn from each one, and sometimes a mistake leads in an unexpected direction where you never saw yourself headed.

I'll second that. You're making a pretty straightforward ordinary shaker table, but you put a ding near one corner of the top, and also on a corner of one leg. So, you add a chamfer to the outside corner of the leg to fix the ding, and then chamfer the outside corner of the other front leg for symmetry. For the top, you put in a piece of inlay shaped like star. Not only did you save the project, but now you have an original, custom piece with character!

That's one of the things I learned from Marc.

I am a sponge self taught mostly so the pod casts were great for me. They combine showing me (reverse pause are great) telling me and making me laugh are great ways for me to learn. Marc has shown me that the real "trick" is to keep learning. The other thing I rediscovered in all those videos was a mistake is an opportunity not always a disaster (cutting board disaster) It was refreshing to see Marc reveal his mistakes and more important to take me through his process in solving it. Wise old fella once told me "the real skill in wood work is how you fix your mistakes."