cordless nailers

jimmykx250

I have seen a flury of cordless paslode framing and trim guns for sale on craigs list and e-bay for some time now. Does anyone have any reviews on these items? They seem that they would be quite handy to own. Pricy yes but the cordless feature is nice. Years ago i bought a dewalt 18 volt cordless biscuit joiner and i love that thing-the extra weight is worth not having another cord in the shop. Any input would be appreciated,thanks.

Jimmy,

The only ones I know of that are using the Paslodes are trim carpenters. I would imagine they would also come in handy if you do a lot of custom built-ins. But, I've been quite happy with a small compressor on a hand cart.

I have owned both the Paslode framing and finish guns. They are great tools when you don't have a lot of continuous nailing to do. I do however prefer the air guns for their lower weight and comfort and the ability to bounce fire with framing gun. The quality and performance of the Paslode cordless guns is very good I only had a slight problem with the framing gun not firing due to dirt and moisture.

I have owned both the Paslode framing and finish guns. They are great tools when you don't have a lot of continuous nailing to do. I do however prefer the air guns for their lower weight and comfort and the ability to bounce fire with framing gun. The quality and performance of the Paslode cordless guns is very good I only had a slight problem with the framing gun not firing due to dirt and moisture.

I'm pretty sure the weight of the framing guns is why we don't have anyone in our area using them for construction, plus, as you stated, framers like to bump nail.

I'm pretty sure the weight of the framing guns is why we don't have anyone in our area using them for construction, plus, as you stated, framers like to bump nail.

Other reasons I prefer the pneumatic guns are, you have air on hand to blow dust off your tools, your self and work area. If your a finish carpenter you also tend to use a pinner. I don't think there are cordless pinners so you'll be running air anyway. Overall the pneumatic guns have better comfort and balance. I'd rather have that over the convenience of airless.

i have both finish and framing nailers and they work great. once you get in a groove the framing nailer can get pretty quick. the gas in both gun seems to last a good amount of time. i dont get the whole weight issue, they arent that heavy and your not dragging around an air line. that saves weight in itself.

Other reasons I prefer the pneumatic guns are, you have air on hand to blow dust off your tools, your self and work area. If your a finish carpenter you also tend to use a pinner. I don't think there are cordless pinners so you'll be running air anyway. Overall the pneumatic guns have better comfort and balance. I'd rather have that over the convenience of airless.

Luckily, I'm done (for the most part) of doing any more construction or pseudo construction, so all my air guns are fine in the confines of my shop. I've even thought of selling my Bostitch framer, but I have a hard time letting go of tools. Ya never know when you'll need it again. Hopefully, never, but...

I looked into cordless and compressor-less nailing options awhile ago. I ended up with a CO2 system that is really nice. The full bottle weighs nothing, attaches to your belt/pants, uses a very nice coiled hose (one that doesn't sag like the others!), and naturally uses your regular air gun.

I discussed it on my blog with pictures here.

I've been using it for base molding and crown. Both of these jobs are annoying if you have to lug a compressor around the rooms and drape a heavy hose with it. With the CO2 bottle, it was surprisingly nice.

Bump firing is likely out. I don't, but there is a bit of a recovery time on the pressure. For molding, it isn't an issue, but with bump firing, time between nails is considerably shorter.

Also note that I bought a bigger kit than someone needs if they just want some occasional pins in the shop.

Luckily, I'm done (for the most part) of doing any more construction or pseudo construction, so all my air guns are fine in the confines of my shop. I've even thought of selling my Bostitch framer, but I have a hard time letting go of tools. Ya never know when you'll need it again. Hopefully, never, but...

I'm the same way. I did sell of my framing nailers but I'll hold on to my finish guns since I still do some finish work here and there. One thing for those looking at a new framing gun should consider. Some area building codes require full round head nails to be used for framing. I think most if not all airless guns are clipped/D head.

I'm the same way. I did sell of my framing nailers but I'll hold on to my finish guns since I still do some finish work here and there. One thing for those looking at a new framing gun should consider. Some area building codes require full round head nails to be used for framing. I think most if not all airless guns are clipped/D head.

My Bostitch shoot full head nails.."12D"..not really, but they pass code. The nails keep getting cheaper. But, like I said, hopefully I'm done framing!!

I have the cordless framer to use on fireworks shoot sites. We never have power for a compressor and this speeds up the building process. The mortars need to be built into a framework to ensure the firework goes in the sky and not at the croud. It has always work great for me but I have air powerd units that I have in my shop.