MY NEW SHOP

KRAM121881

Attached are pictures of the shop that I have been working on for about the last year and half now. As you can see it is a standalone shop that is 30 x 48 the bathroom and utility room take up a total 10 x 15 front corner and the air compressor / dust collector room in the back corner is 5 x 8. The shop has been turning out better than I could have ever expected I live in MN so I have put a residential furnace / ac unit to allow me to be comfortable year round. I am currently outfitting the shop with tools now and as you can see I just got my new industrial 5hp Sawstop this week.

If you have any question or suggestions please let me know.

Thankspost-353-0-09284600-1304606289_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-22623400-1304606306_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-91443400-1304606318_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-91443400-1304606318_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-85190600-1304606326_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-39785800-1304606339_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-88838500-1304606352_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-70189300-1304606365_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-12588400-1304606375_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-40493100-1304606392_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-94674200-1304606405_thumb.jpgpost-353-0-90956900-1304606416_thumb.jpg

Mark

Looks great! I wish I'd put in a hot water heater when I was building mine. I didn't plan for it and now I have no room for one. I also wish I'd built mine a little larger. Mine is a 30 x 40. I sure could use those extra 8' that yours has.

Great job!

Looks like a great shop space! You should have no problem with security as long as Trogdor is protecting all your tools.

My brother inlaw put that on the board for my daughter I really don't know much about it but it starts alot of conversations.

Nice looking shop! Where are you going to have lumber storage?

Just as Marc did I am planning on constructing a plywood cart and lumber storage right near the front big door in the area listed in the photo. Most all of the lumber should fit in this area and I may put some lumber in another dry storage area.

Thanks for asking

Mark

post-353-0-15325400-1304613863_thumb.jpg

Nah...

Awesome!

As much as I like ping-pong, that thing's gotta go...guess that's where the new TS is going, eh? Great shop.

That's a finishing table, in diguise. With a, erm, fence, for, erm, you know. Soft fence so it doesn't mar the finish.

Trying to disorient the electrons?

post-2037-0-67808800-1304629061_thumb.jp

Not nitpicking, not envious. No, not...

John

Trying to disorient the electrons?

post-2037-0-67808800-1304629061_thumb.jpg

John

that is a condensation line for the A/C. the reason the pvc is bent like that is so that water is trapped in the bend to keep excess air or anything else from being sucked through the pipe and throwing off the efficency of the evaporator. the water that condenses off the evaporator passes right thru and down the pvc pipe to the deep sink to be drained.

and thats your HVAC tip of the day!

Mark.. All I can say is WOW!! And, ITS ABOUT FRICKEN TIME!!!!!! Great shop man. I really like the bathroom with the shower and all that. I definitely plan on having something like that in the next shop.It is gonna be a biggin like that too. I want to have a bathroom/couch area with a counter and fridge and all that as well. And the next shop will have a heat unit like that as well. I see that you decided to go with the 5HP Sawstop... I am sure that you are going to be pleased with it for a long time. I see that you are right outside the cities.. My sister lives up there.. maybe I will have to make a trip up there and check out the shop... umm.. I mean see my sister. COngrats on the great space. I am learning that shops are kind of like kids.. it is fun to watch them grow and evolve over time.

that is a condensation line for the A/C. the reason the pvc is bent like that is so that water is trapped in the bend to keep excess air or anything else from being sucked through the pipe and throwing off the efficency of the evaporator. the water that condenses off the evaporator passes right thru and down the pvc pipe to the deep sink to be drained.

and thats your HVAC tip of the day!

Sort of like a j trap for the condensation line, then?

BTW, what tools did you need for the PEX? I'm considering some renovations in the current abode, and perhaps my Grandfather's estate, and don't feel like ripping walls apart to do it "the old fashioned way."

(And why did you go with a hot water tank, instead of the hot water on demand little tanks?)

Other than that, jealous of the space, and light, and .... Very nice shop!

Sort of like a j trap for the condensation line, then?

BTW, what tools did you need for the PEX? I'm considering some renovations in the current abode, and perhaps my Grandfather's estate, and don't feel like ripping walls apart to do it "the old fashioned way."

(And why did you go with a hot water tank, instead of the hot water on demand little tanks?)

Other than that, jealous of the space, and light, and .... Very nice shop!

You will need a pex cutter a pex crimp tool I use a full ring crimper sold at menards about $100 but it crimps 1/2 and 3/4 and you will want a ring breaker so that you can cut rings that were put on in error. great stuff to work with makes alot of plumbing very easy.

Went with the tank water heater just on start up cost alone. I know I know over time I would save with a tankless and I am all setup for a tankless with a vent plate on the outside already but for now the $100 it cost me for this one vs $1000 it would have cost for a tankless.

You will need a pex cutter a pex crimp tool I use a full ring crimper sold at menards about $100 but it crimps 1/2 and 3/4 and you will want a ring breaker so that you can cut rings that were put on in error. great stuff to work with makes alot of plumbing very easy.

Went with the tank water heater just on start up cost alone. I know I know over time I would save with a tankless and I am all setup for a tankless with a vent plate on the outside already but for now the $100 it cost me for this one vs $1000 it would have cost for a tankless.

Because you have gas, a tankless would have been a somewhat decent option. The upgrade to piping would've cost a bit. But, if you were thinking going to an electric tankless, they just don't pencil out. If anyone wants more information, feel free to pm me.

Because you have gas, a tankless would have been a somewhat decent option. The upgrade to piping would've cost a bit. But, if you were thinking going to an electric tankless, they just don't pencil out. If anyone wants more information, feel free to pm me.

Yea, I have to bring people to reality on that a couple of times a week.

Yea, I have to bring people to reality on that a couple of times a week.

Chad,

Unfortunately, when the DOE states on their site the heat loss associated with a tank type water heater and the advantages gained going to a tankless, the majority of the heatloss is the line loss. Of course, this is the same in both scenarios, so the claim is not an apples to apples comparison. It sometimes is frustrating when a entity that is supposed to know what it's doing still gets it so horribly wrong. The next big thing is heat pump water heaters, which are a decent investment in a cooling zone, but here in the NW are another horrible recommendation.

The next big thing is heat pump water heaters, which are a decent investment in a cooling zone, but here in the NW are another horrible recommendation.

Just for completeness, what is a cooling zone?

-- Russ

Just for completeness, what is a cooling zone?

-- Russ

Sorry Russ. An area is considered a heating or cooling zone depending on when the most energy is expended to keep a living space comfortable. So, up here in a heating zone a heat pump water heater doesn't make sense because they aren't a split system and while they lower the cost of heating the water, they are dumping cold air into the living space that in turn needs to be heated with the HVAC system. The argument that they can be placed in garages doesn't hold up for most because people like their garages to be at least a bit warmer than the outside, so parking the car in the garage is a positive thing. In my case, my dogs have the run of the garage during the day with a dog door into the side yard.