Compass Box

JayWC

I made a compass box out of walnut to replace the cracked case my dad had from when he first started doing layout and drafting in the 1970's. This was more for nostalgia than anything because he hasn't used his compasses in years. I used the inner custom case from his original case so hold the compasses in the bottom and a piece of convoluted foam for the top. I'm not so happy with foam in the top lid, but it works.

Also, the diamond inlay in the lid is a piece of brass I polished up and lacquered prior to install.

post-3726-0-22513400-1304694771_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-84846200-1304694775_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-90160500-1304694779_thumb.jp

Pretty box. I agree that the foam in the top doesn't quite do it. Could you replace it with an upholstered panel made of cardboard or thin plywood, maybe with some thin foam between the cloth and the panel to make it squishy?

-- Russ

I agree with Russ... get some foam board, batting, and a similar cloth from a fabric store. Bring the box there and someone will help you out. Just use spray adhesive on the back of the foam board to glue the wrapped fabric. If you want little indents here and there, have someone stitch the "dimples" down to the foam board.

The foam you have there makes me expect to see a NIC card in the box :)

I agree with Russ... get some foam board, batting, and a similar cloth from a fabric store. Bring the box there and someone will help you out. Just use spray adhesive on the back of the foam board to glue the wrapped fabric. If you want little indents here and there, have someone stitch the "dimples" down to the foam board.

The foam you have there makes me expect to see a NIC card in the box :)

Funny you mention this...I've improved my upholstery skills as of late. I upholstered an old hideous ottoman from my great aunt as well as a set of dining room chairs this last Christmas. They were from craigslist and shredded by the owner's cat. I stained the frames and tung oiled them as well as did the seat and back in new fabric. $60 later I had 6 chairs that look brand new. Regarding the lid foam, if I had to do it again, I would have made a fabric wrapped piece of foam for the lid. The foam in the lid as posted was from an SCSI card so you're very close Paul! LOL