Shop dogs

CATaylor132

I do not allow people in the shop while I work. If I have a guest drop in or potential client, I stop what I am doing and handle matters, they Leave I work. Children do not come in my shop while I am working ,nor does the spouse. most of my friends and family hate this,why?, I dunno maybe they are curious to see how I do things..maybe ,though, its jealousy. There is only 1 friend I do allow in my shop, Hauss, my half breed stray that my GF has had for 12 years. hauss is not big,small footprints in my shop for the time being. I have sat and tried to remember a time when I did woodwork without Mans best friend, I can't recall one. i love my dogs of the past and present, They are/were great about staying out of the way,listening to my verbal onslaughts,and generally great for shop protection(not always). however this year I fear I may have put my dog in harms way without even being aware of it. I have an excellent Grizzly dust system,works great, couldn't ask for more for the price. I have tried my best to keep the air in my shop and home clean,and I thought I was doing a good job. However about 4 months ago I completed 6 cedar steam trunks. Over the course of those months my dog became increasingly sicker, with a cough that reminded me of an uncle who smoked 3 packs a day. I took him to the vet. unsure as to what was causing it she did some tests,nothing. So i was gonna haqve to leave it to fate and antibiotics. Last week while falling some cedar we have on the property, I noticed hauss getting sick again....well I am not a rocket scientist or even of minimum intelligence, but i think i have put 2 and 2 together. Upon a return to the vet this week i confirmed my thoughts. My dog had picked up the cedar through the air and it was now in his lungs. How could this be,well Dogs have sense of smell yeah, and they sniff right, but i have a dust collector this shouldn't be, but it is. Unknowingly i put my dog in the line of fire, he got the dust into his lungs, causing the cough,and causing him allergies and breathing problems. Thats the vets word not mine. So in conclusion, my dog now stays just outside the shop doorsand away from where my dust goes, because i would rather have him out front than down under. Thanks CATaylor/Arkansas

Hey CA. Sorry to hear about your pup. I actually did an article on this exact topic earlier this year: http://thewoodwhisperer.com/dogs-in-the-shop/

Keep in mind that just because you have a dust extraction system, doesn't necessarily mean you have clean air. The most harmful dust is the dust you can't see. I may fall on the more paranoid end of the spectrum so I will wear my respirator just about any time I have a tool on, despite having a good extraction system. Better safe than sorry, you know?

Hey I completly underrstand and its funny beacause up until I started watching your show the only repirator I had EVER used was for the Military.Anywho the dog is good,hoever I saw you made a post about vandals, I was robbed earlier this year and just had a new sytem put in today. I actually have a question for you, I was looking for the American Sycamore WW retreat today but was taken to a website that said it was closed. Do you have any info on that, sorry if I am behind I have only been out since December, and I fell kinda behind.. So you have a goodnight/morning and I hope to speak to you again soon here or in the chatroom.

CATaylor/Arkansas

From what I know, American Sycamore closed down. Probably much to do with their terrible business practices. Its a shame though because it was an incredible facility with a great community of people supporting it. Its a shame the owners didn't know what they were doing. Can you sense the bitterness? lol. I was one of the many instructors who were never paid for their services.

CA...sorry about your dog. I hope he's fine now that you've identified the problem. Luckily my dogs don't enter the shop unless it's quiet. So, dust is never a problem.

My girl's cats come into the shop and visit at all times. If I lock them out, they also can't get to the litter box, so that doesn't often work.

They originally didn't fear power tools, so I yelled at them and shoo'ed 'em out when tools were on, and they figured that one out without getting hurt.

I lock them out if I'm about to put a lotta dust in the air, and *especially* if I'm cutting MDF or other man-made boards.