Battery acid stains, i believe!

scottie56005

I was given a fern table from my grandmother after she passed away. There are black stains on the bottom shelf and a few small ones on the top. She did try to sand out the ones on the bottom at one point, but it now has huge cups and valleys in it now and the stains are still there. I have done some searching and have not been able to find any information on how to get the stains out. Im guessing the only way they will come out is with new wood. The top is in pretty good shape and I would like to keep it as is. The bottom shelf is pretty much shot and I have been leaning towards just replacing it. If anyone knows if this is possible, please share your thoughts. Thanks.

Sounds like a good opportunity to try your hand at inlay work. You can make the patch out of similar wood and try and blend that to the surounding areas. Or you could use a contasting wood and celebrate the patch. I useually make the patch first and locate the patch on the offending area mark around it with an exacto knife darke the scores up with a sharp pensil Set your router with the snallest straight bit you have, I use a 1/4" bit set the depth so when you put the patch in it will just sit proud of the offending area. Rout out as close to your pensil line as you can get without touching it and clean up the remander with a sharp chisel check your fit and glue the patch in let it dry and sand it flush. Maybe try this method on a scrap piece first to hone your skills before you go after gramma's table.

How about oxalic acid. Oak can get these type of stains because of the tannins in the wood. Sometimes coming in contact with metal of water with a high mineral content can cause this. Oxalic acid works very well. read the directions! it is dangerous, but can be used as long as your careful.

How about oxalic acid. Oak can get these type of stains because of the tannins in the wood. Sometimes coming in contact with metal of water with a high mineral content can cause this. Oxalic acid works very well. read the directions! it is dangerous, but can be used as long as your careful.

Interesting! Thanks for the info on what might have caused the spots to appear. I did see that oxalic acid was mentioned in some of those ask/answer posts in search engines but they were never answers from a wood working site directly. It seemed that the answers were 50/50 on weather or not it worked so I just didn't take them serious or have faith. I guess I will give it a shot on the bottom since that is destroyed from a orbital sander or something that left cups lol. It looks like a chair seat almost it is so bad. When I get my hands on some acid I will give it a whirl and report back with my findings and hopefully success. Thanks again!

post-4695-0-57644100-1307330731_thumb.jp

post-4695-0-56232200-1307330800_thumb.jp

When I get my hands on some acid I will give it a whirl and report back with my findings and hopefully success. Thanks again!

Now that's a whole different take on that phrase from my younger days. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

might need to just take the entire top and have someone put it throught there drum sander. give a wood worker in the area a call if there slow and most are because of the economy they might be willing to let you toss through there machine. nice thing about drum sander is that you wont have any dips in the top from sanding it with a palm or belt sander. drum sander are big enough and precise enought that it will sand it perfectly even.

• 2 months later...