Would you install this to save a finger?

woodworkingmax

This is a great video a friend send me about a stop for a table saw:

SawStop

If they sold a saw that folded down as well as my Bosch, and wasn't more than twice the cost, sure. Starting at $1600 is a non-starter most days, unless you're talking about a car.

The technology to do what they're doing isn't all that expensive, but they have the patent on it, and don't license it out cheaply... which kinda puts a choke-hold on the entire industry, and all of our fingers. :-/

As a hobbyist I have to say no to SawStop. For one it is to expensive for the hobbyist to purchase. Since this device relies on moisture it is subject to fail and cause unwanted trips of the device. Another expense that is hard on the hobbyist in that now, you have to buy a new cartridge and a new saw blade to boot. So there is no advantage other than safety for the hobbyist to purchase this technology. Mind you I'm all for safety, but not at the expense of having to replace parts that I can't afford when there are other things I'd rather purchase for the shop. There is another safety device being developed that in my opinion is better than SawStop using basically the same technology as SawStop but has less damaging effect without the costly replacement of a cartridge and blade. It has a simple reset button, so when tripped it can be reset and back to work in seconds. Its called the Whirlwind, Check it out and see if you think this is a better idea to save fingers.

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/

As a hobbyist I have to say no to SawStop. For one it is to expensive for the hobbyist to purchase. Since this device relies on moisture it is subject to fail and cause unwanted trips of the device.http://www.whirlwindtool.com/

Gregn,

I love your posts, man. But I would like to very politely correct something you say here. I really don't want to get sucked into another SawStop coversation, I've been down that road so many times people have accused me of working for the company. It's no secret I love my SawStop Professional Cabinet Saw.

Here's the thing. The SawStop does NOT rely on moisture. It relies on capacitance. I sweat like an Ohio State Football Player in a police line-up. My shop is not air-conditioned, and I’ve dripped sweat all over the place and never had a nuisance trip.

I’ve told this story before, but a couple years ago a buddy of mine really wanted to test my SawStop so we put an old blade in the machine and ran all kinds of green treated wood, a fresh cut tree branch, really green wood, wood that we spayed down with water, we tried everything to get it to trip, we could not get it to trip. Finally I got a bratwurst from the kitchen ran it through and wow! It was cool!

Anyhow, I’ve broken my promise that I’d stay out of SawStop discussions, but I couldn’t let the misinformation go. If you are worried about nuisance trips with the SawStop, Don’t be. If you are worried about the cost or if you like a different saw better, that’s cool. But I’ve had my saw for 4-1/2 years now and I can tell you I could not be happier and I’ve never had a single nuisance trip, and I use it a lot! I’m a true Normite at heart.

As a hobbyist I have to say no to SawStop. For one it is to expensive for the hobbyist to purchase. Since this device relies on moisture it is subject to fail and cause unwanted trips of the device. Another expense that is hard on the hobbyist in that now, you have to buy a new cartridge and a new saw blade to boot. So there is no advantage other than safety for the hobbyist to purchase this technology. Mind you I'm all for safety, but not at the expense of having to replace parts that I can't afford when there are other things I'd rather purchase for the shop. There is another safety device being developed that in my opinion is better than SawStop using basically the same technology as SawStop but has less damaging effect without the costly replacement of a cartridge and blade. It has a simple reset button, so when tripped it can be reset and back to work in seconds. Its called the Whirlwind, Check it out and see if you think this is a better idea to save fingers.

http://www.whirlwindtool.com/

Greg,

I agree with Chet's post. Also, if you do trigger the brake, SawStop will replace it for free once they confirm that it did fire as a result of contact with skin. Blades are usually repairable which can involve replacing one or two teeth and possibly straightening. I wrote an article with more information HERE.

The Whirlwint is interesting, but what does it really do? It prevents your hands from getting close to the blade and if you bump the guard, it shuts the saw off. On any table saw, the blade guard prevents your hands from getting close to the blade but won't shut off the saw. I don't see the benefits.

Not to start a argument, I've only related to undocumented experiences from others who have had these things happen to them in other forums. I don't deny the safety factor of Saw Stop. I do feel there are other alternatives, and with any safety features there will be flaws. Whirlwind is just another option to consider. If I'm wrong I stand corrected, and have only stated my opinion. No offense taken here, just felt I needed to reply on what was said.

Not to start a argument, I've only related to undocumented experiences from others who have had these things happen to them in other forums. I don't deny the safety factor of Saw Stop. I do feel there are other alternatives, and with any safety features there will be flaws. Whirlwind is just another option to consider. If I'm wrong I stand corrected, and have only stated my opinion. No offense taken here, just felt I needed to reply on what was said.

Gregn,

No trouble, man. Like I said I like your posts. I wasn't trying to start an arguement either. There's a great article a few years back, I think in FWW, which documents their attempts to get a nuisance trip out of a SawStop. They too, were unable to make it happen. Anyway, I'll try to find the article later and reference more properly. In the meantime, maybe one of the other members of this forum knows the article I mean.

By the way, I'm all for as many safety things coming out as possible. Especially as I get older, I value my fingers more and more. I'd love to see Whirlwind come out with a retrofit kit. I like choices. I'd like to see as many options as possible.