Go Green!

Rutabagared

I posted in the Declining Lumber Quality thread about buying green lumber direct from the sawmill and drying it yourself for big savings, and I wanted to follow-up since I just received a load of green lumber about a week ago. Below is about 400bdft of 4/4 and 60bdft of 8/4 cherry. I got this delivered and stacked as you see it for just over $600. All of it is FAS. Green lumber prices are down due to the unfortunate state of the housing market.

post-1181-0-68875000-1308365216_thumb.jp

post-1181-0-69700700-1308365242_thumb.jp

This will amount to about three kiln charges (solar kiln). If things go well, all will be dried to a workable state by fall. (Solar kiln drying is pretty much nonexistent during the fall and winter in PA.). I found that cherry looses about 10% moisture content each week. The m.c. of the first charge was about 38%. So the first charge will take about 3-4 weeks. Each subsequent charge will take less time because the initial moisture content of the lumber will be lower at the beginning of the charge due to air drying.

I've been purchasing green lumber this way for several years with no issues. As I stated in the other thread, I built a solar kiln several years ago for a few hundred bucks. It's paid for itself many times over. The concept is simple. Google the subject. There's a lot of info available. Go green!

Joe

Cool! I'll have to check around, but here in the NW, the only hardwoods are domestic and unless I sawmill myself (which I don't want), my best is still my sawyer in Walla Walla. Jensen Hardwoods. Great place, great sawyer. Way to score nice lumber!!!

Ya i love air dried wood much easer to work with less chiping, aclimates better from higher moisture levels. Plus if you can find someone who will cut up logs for you you can just pay like .25 cents a foot. Trying to get my class to buy green wood store it till the next year and then the following years repeat have cheap mapple and oak.