Workbench Dilly Bopper

SetveCarter

Sometime within what I think was the last year, there was a shop tip in one of the major woodworking magazines for a device that could be made to attach different tools like a grinder to the workbench. It used something similar to a French cleat to lock the bench. When I saw the article I told myself that I'd build one someday. Now that I'm ready to build it, I can't find the article again. I've looked through all my old magazines and have tried to Google - apparently I'm not using the right search terms, since I can't seem to find anything similar. Does anyone remember seeing this? If so I'd appreciate our help in finding it again.

I want to thank you guys for your help! Some of the ideas looked pretty good. I found the article I was looking for a few moments ago. It's in Volume #183 Of Popular Woodworking Magazine (June 2010)- on page 14 (I can't find it on-line.) If you read the "Tricks of the Trade" you'll see that this version uses a French cleat and a T-track to secure the tool to the workbench. It's obviously a lot more work than some of the other solutions but I think it might well be worth the extra effort. When I finally get around to building it I'll try to post a photo. Right now I'm busy putting an epoxy finish on the concrete floor and doing some painting. The next step will be to put a new top on my workbench. Hopefully I'll have this finished in the next few weeks.

Once again, thanks for the different ideas.

I am not sure if it is anything you would like to try, but if you are trying to save room by not having a grinder or other accessories on your bench all the time I have used a receiver hitch. I picked up one of the plate style hitches that mounts right to a bumper to accept a stinger. I then welded an adapter on the stinger (part that goes in the receiver) to bolt my grinder to. This was great because I was able to put my metal bench vise, grinder, and a few other adapters I have developed to fit on the end of a receiver hitch. Hope you figure out what you are looking for.

Stevenn77, thats a pretty neat idea. I have a few tools that see minimal use setup so that the plate the tool is attached to has a apron on the front with holes that correspond with threaded inserts in the front of my bench, a few turns of a couple knobs and it isn't going anywhere. One thing that helps with the knobs to keep them from falling out when not in use is on the backside of the apron I countersunk the holes a little so I could put a washer and an o-ring on the bolt, this allows it to hold the bolt/knob in but doesn't get in the way of it working.

Nate

• 3 weeks later...