Marc's Straight Edge

Vic

Any insight on this?

Low profile Tool Guide / Router Plate from Lee Valley

Just curious if you (or anyone) has any experience or inside information on this. For just over $100, seems like a pretty good deal.

I know Charles Neil uses that guide often. I've used my router guided on a Festool rail and it is extremely useful; this is the same idea. You can get a saw plate, jigsaw plate, and router plate for the guide. If I didn't have the Festool rail, I'd have this one. If you are part of the Guild, I know Charles uses this rail in one of the early Chest of Drawers videos to show crosscutting a long panel safely and accurately. While he doesn't use it for the sliding dovetails, those of us without a 4'x8' router table would do better with such a guide and router plate.

I know Charles Neil uses that guide often. I've used my router guided on a Festool rail and it is extremely useful; this is the same idea. You can get a saw plate, jigsaw plate, and router plate for the guide. If I didn't have the Festool rail, I'd have this one. If you are part of the Guild, I know Charles uses this rail in one of the early Chest of Drawers videos to show crosscutting a long panel safely and accurately. While he doesn't use it for the sliding dovetails, those of us without a 4'x8' router table would do better with such a guide and router plate.

Very cool. Guess I know where my next $100 is going to be spent. :)

So I bought that clamp guide long ago at Rockler, though that predates the router/saw plates :) However, I checked the prices vs Lee Valley and the sale price at Rockler would set you back about $15 more than the regular Lee Valley price; go Canada!

Charles uses a guide from Woodcraft. It is a knock off of that guide Rockler and Lee Valley make. Same idea. With the sale, you could get the 56" guide for $21 and a guide plate for your router and saw for $21 each. So $63ish.

56" Guide Rail

Router/Saw Guide Plate

I have no experience using this as a tool guiderail, but it looks solid. Functionally the same as the Lee Valley/Rockler offering. Plus looked like it was graduated in Emperial/metric for what that's worth :)

So I bought that clamp guide long ago at Rockler, though that predates the router/saw plates :) However, I checked the prices vs Lee Valley and the sale price at Rockler would set you back about $15 more than the regular Lee Valley price; go Canada!

Charles uses a guide from Woodcraft. It is a knock off of that guide Rockler and Lee Valley make. Same idea. With the sale, you could get the 56" guide for $21 and a guide plate for your router and saw for $21 each. So $63ish.

56" Guide Rail

Router/Saw Guide Plate

I have no experience using this as a tool guiderail, but it looks solid. Functionally the same as the Lee Valley/Rockler offering. Plus looked like it was graduated in Emperial/metric for what that's worth :)

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely take a look. As for Rockler, I've noticed that much of their pricing for the same items tends to be higher than other sources on the web. I have an Amazon Prime membership, so I usually check there as well to see if the exact same item is available through them. If so, I'll usually order from amazon. Saves tax and I get free two day shipping. :)

Thanks for the links. I'll definitely take a look. As for Rockler, I've noticed that much of their pricing for the same items tends to be higher than other sources on the web. I have an Amazon Prime membership, so I usually check there as well to see if the exact same item is available through them. If so, I'll usually order from amazon. Saves tax and I get free two day shipping. :)

And don't forget to access Amazon through TWW store. ;)

Any insight on this?

Low profile Tool Guide / Router Plate from Lee Valley

Just curious if you (or anyone) has any experience or inside information on this. For just over $100, seems like a pretty good deal.

It's a pretty good deal. Being up in Canada in a city with a Lee Valley store I can actually get a look at the goods. This one is a good piece of equipment with lots of attachments and options available. Unfortunately for me, I bought the Husky one from Home Despot before I found this one....

It's a pretty good deal. Being up in Canada in a city with a Lee Valley store I can actually get a look at the goods. This one is a good piece of equipment with lots of attachments and options available. Unfortunately for me, I bought the Husky one from Home Despot before I found this one....

Yeah, I can sympathize with you there. I've made a few of those type purchases. Live and learn, I suppose. Glad to hear it's good though. Will definitely be picking that up in the very near future.

Thanks for the info, too!

• Like 1

I have been buying from Lee Valley for many years now and I have always found their product to be very good.

With their store in my city it is easy for me to check out their stuff.

I have found them cheaper than the box store when I wanted to make some lamps and was buying the electrical parts.

They know what they are talking about and when they do not, they say so or direct me to a competitive store where I can find what I need.

Very glad to have Lee Valley in my town.

Woodie

I just ordered that guide from Woodcraft. Have a large cabinet project and need to rip down a bunch of 3/4" pre-finished maple ply. Not looking for precision as final cut on the table saw. But this should be better than trying to use a 9' board, which is usually warped to make the rough cut.

56" Guide Rail

Router/Saw Guide Plate

I just ordered that guide from Woodcraft. Have a large cabinet project and need to rip down a bunch of 3/4" pre-finished maple ply. Not looking for precision as final cut on the table saw. But this should be better than trying to use a 9' board, which is usually warped to make the rough cut.

Cool. I'd definitely have to consider precision to a point, though, since I don't have a table saw. I would likely rough-cut with my circular saw, then use a straight bit on my router smooth it out, then finish up with a hand plane. After I build a new bench, that is. I like the benefit of not having to do yardwork, owning a condo...but at the same time, no storage space or land to build a shop on kinda sucks. :)

Cool. I'd definitely have to consider precision to a point, though, since I don't have a table saw. I would likely rough-cut with my circular saw, then use a straight bit on my router smooth it out, then finish up with a hand plane. After I build a new bench, that is. I like the benefit of not having to do yardwork, owning a condo...but at the same time, no storage space or land to build a shop on kinda sucks. :)

I have the kits mixed up in my head cuz I don't own one (well, a green one, but none of those)... I believe all of them have the circular saw mounted on a "saw plate" that is guided. The blade, then, cuts through the plate the first time. That said, it is a zero-clearance insert for the circular saw. The edge under the plate shouldn't have chipout as the cut is supported. The offcut side, however, can have chipout if there's no part of the plate pressing down there.

So that's good news! No need to make extra work to fix the chipout!

So, I ended up ordering the 50" version of the ProGrip Straight Edge Clamp from PeachTree. I also ordered the optional Fence and the 7" handle extension. It appeared to be roughly the same as the one from Lee Valley, but also appeared to have more "future" flexibility. In addition, I can make my own router and circular saw jig and just T-Track mounts to attach it to the guide. So, bonus there.