Why is Japanse maple impossible to acquire?

Salvatore

So yeah, that is essentially the question right there, I've always been curious about that. I have an easier time finding Holy woods than Japanese maple, yet they are much more prevalent. Any idea why that is?

I had a Japanese maple growing in my yard, but it was cut down a number of years ago, the wood has been curing ever since in my garage. Last year I decided to attempt finishing a piece out of curiosity, it has turned out to be easily one of the nicest woods I have ever worked with, period. The grain is just phenomenal. With that said, once I'm out I'm out, I can't find any other sources.

Thoughts? Ideas?

From the specimens I've seen, the things are branched pretty close and they don't grow straight in any direction for more than a couple feet. I would suppose that this deters commercial mills from wanting to deal with it. But all that convolution in structure must make for amazing grain!

A Japanese maple big enough to mill is going to be a VERY old tree, and you'd be lucky to get any lumber worth using due to the irregular branching structure, as noted above. I don't think I've ever seen one with a trunk bigger than a foot in diameter, and we have some very old trees in downtown St. Louis. They just don't get big enough to mill, and IMO are much more valuable as living specimens than as lumber. I get more satisfaction out of pruning my living Japanese maples than I would making furniture out of them. It would be cool to build something out of a dead one, though.

If there is still interest I'll be able to take a picture once my a800 gets here, and when I've used the wood for something pretty.

I realize that they are ornamental trees, but even so large specimens exist so I figured that SOMEONE had used the wood for some decorative purpose or another I haven't even found examples.

It is a pretty and rock-damn solid wood. Once I've made something with it I'll post again, either way thanks for the insight, I'll attempt finding a source.

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

Salvatore...were you ever able to finish a project with the Japanese maple? Love to see how it turned out, and would also appreciate some info on the steps you took to harvest, cut and dry the wood if it worked well for you. I just came into a small supply of it in a similar scenario that you got yours so I'm excited to get the chance to work with it.