How many routers does is take to get the center of a.......

petersb

I have 3 routers but not intentionally...

I bought a cheap ryobi standard hand router. Then I accidentally bought the router table including another cheap ryobi router.

When I realized that the table nor the handheld would accept 1/2" bits I was forced to go buy a nice porter cable router for about $220. It has variable speed, the option to change the bit size and a vacuum port which I havent had the pleasure to try to hook up yet to determine how that operates.

I am actually happy to have a hand held and also a separate router table as I have used both of them on my current project.

One day I may need to get a plunge router but today is not that day.

I have 6, ! 1/2 HP 20yr old Craftsman, a ! 1/2 hp Ryobi, Bosch 1617EV set 2 1/4 hp, MLCS 3 hp Plunge, Grizzly 1/2 hp trim router and a Dremel 4000 rotary with both router bases (great tool for working on toys)

ATB80,

I'll match you. I have 6 too. I'm too lazy to go outside now and look up the part numbers but here are the basics:

PC 3.25 HP Plunge

Festool 3 HP Plunge (the older one)

PC 2.5 HP Fixed Base

Bosch 2.5 HP Plunge

Bosch 2.5 HP Fixed Base

PC 1.5 HP Fixed/Plunge/PC router table combo

Rockwell 1.5 HP motor only (it lives in the PC router table)

Even with all these I need a new router table and a new 3 HP motor for it. I'd also like a Bosch Colt and a Festool OF 1400. Routers are like planes, you can never have too many.

I started with a Festool OF 1400 thinking that ease of tool changing was going to make it easier to switch bits.

Then I understood that the routers are like a tool changer in a CNC router so then I got:

MFK - OF1010 - OF2200 and the OF2000 I got the last one to stay on the plexiglass template made by Festool.

I also have a non festool router which is a Freud 3-1/2 HP for my router table that I will get rid of (router table) and make an attachment to fit between my Festool benches.

Total of 6 and I don't see getting any more. I know is a lot and heard of guys who have 15.

My FAVORITE router is the OF2200 I know is huge but the wide base and amazing micro adjustments, plus insane dust collection and zero vibration make this one my go to router if my bit is a 1/2" shank.

I have 4 routers.

(2) Porter-cable 690's This was my first router and is a real workhorse. One lives in a portable router table now.

(1) Festool 1400 It has taken over my plunge router needs

(1) Bosch Colt trim Router - This is the latest addition and I have been surprised at how handy it is. It is becoming one of my most used routers.

I will most likely add a larger router to the collection when I build a full router table.

-Gary

OK gonna take a stab at this:

2 Festool

1 Triton

1 Dewalt

2 Hitachi

1 Makita

3 Porter Cable

1 Bosch

1 Milwaukee

and 4 that I can not see well enough to ID

That is 16 total.

How did I do?

I'm honestly not sure - I do know I have 6 Porter Cable 690's, and 2 890's, plus 2 of the 75xx plungers, and a 75xx fixed base - So I know you're off a bit on the PC count - But, to be fair, not everything is in that picture....

Like I said, I'm not sure how many I have, but I do have enough to warrant an intervention

And I wonder why my editors at Fine Woodworking have pigeon hole'd me as "The Router Guy"

-gp

I wonder why you are called the "router guy" lol :D

I'm honestly not sure - I do know I have 6 Porter Cable 690's, and 2 890's, plus 2 of the 75xx plungers, and a 75xx fixed base - So I know you're off a bit on the PC count - But, to be fair, not everything is in that picture....

Like I said, I'm not sure how many I have, but I do have enough to warrant an intervention

And I wonder why my editors at Fine Woodworking have pigeon hole'd me as "The Router Guy"

-gp

I have 3

An ancient 1.5hp Craftsman that's permanatly mounted in my router table.

A small DeWalt laminate trimmer that I still use to clean out mortises for hinges and fine detail work.

And my main stay.

My Ryobi 2.5hp with three bases: std, D handle, plunge. Soft start, interchangeable 1/4" - 1/2" collet, and AAALLLLLLLLL the accessories.

• 3 weeks later...

Me? 4: Listed in order of frequent use:

PC7518 in router table.

Festool OF1010 for lighter work and freehand inlay.

Bosch Colt hand router for the small stuff, hinge jig use, etc.

Festool OF1400 for the heavy duty stuff, and swinging big bits.

I also have a PC890 that came with my dovetail jig, but I find the only time I'm using that one is when I don't want to disturb a bit setting in a router in use elsewhere, so pretty rarely. The Festools are just too easy to micro-tune.

I have four, and a shaper. But in all fairness, two of them are never used and were given to me a long time ago. In fact, I think one of them is a Craftsman. I took one look at them and decided that it is not for me.

I really want to get a couple of Festool routers and a Festool vac. My routers are so messy. It would be great not to have to clean up for a couple minutes after every routing task. One of these nights I am going to pull the trigger in a moment of weakness. But for now, fiscal sanity is stopping me.

Dang man you all have a bunch I got one! lol it hasn't been an issue yet takes only a few seconds to switch bits or take it from plunge base and put in table which i keep the fixed base attached to all the time as of yet I cant remember one time that I thought dang I wish I had another router maybe in the future who knows.

Dang man you all have a bunch I got one! lol it hasn't been an issue yet takes only a few seconds to switch bits or take it from plunge base and put in table which i keep the fixed base attached to all the time as of yet I cant remember one time that I thought dang I wish I had another router maybe in the future who knows.

I picked up all of my routers on the cheap. Pawn shops and CL turn up some real bargains.