How many routers does is take to get the center of a.......

petersb

So how many routers do you have and what do you think is a good number to have?

I have 4.

I have a Bosch set up in the router table. I have the MLCS variable speed for it because when I first bought the router, I was impatient and didn't want to wait for the variable speed to come in. I eventually realised that the variable speed would be a good thing and bought the speed controller. Going that route actually ended up being better for me because I can use the SC on other routers that I have accumulated.

Later I was given, YES GIVEN, a Rockler router table with Jessem lift and PC 690 router with the fixed and plunge base. I don't use the table and lift and I have the router set up in the fixed base for handheld routing.

I was also given a PC palm router that I leave a 1/8" roundover bit in most of the time. I soemtimes use a trim bit in it with a bearing.

I also came across a really nice closeout deal on a PC 895 with the two bases for $45! I leave this one set up in the plunge base.

I would probably only have two routers right now if I had to pay full price for them.

I do find that 4 routers are VERY handy and I am thankful for them.

What about you???

used to have only 1 Bosch 1917evs, had the fixed base in a router table, and used the plunge for freehand. now I added 1 more (Triton 3.25HP) which is kept in the router table, and the bosch is used freehand with either bases. was considering adding a Bosch Colt for edge profiling since it's lighter and less of a strain to hold on edge, but for the time being don't feel it necessary, as I can do all edge treating on the router table easily.

I have 4. I have one huge DW265 mounted in a iron router table wing on my DeWalt hybrid table saw. I have a Bosch 2HP EVS that needs to be tuned a bit before use (auction buy). I have a old Skil POS that I use in a pinch. And the last, and certainly least, is a small crapsman that I temporarily use in a home-made horizontal mortising system.

The 2 smaller ones are going to be replaced when higher quality ones can be found.

LQQK

I have 3 routers. A 3hp Triton in the router station. A PC 895 that used to be in the router station that is now just used with the plunge base. last is a Ridgid palm router that I bought because I was too cheap to get a Bosch Colt ( I know, I know!). The Ridgid has an 1/8" round over bit that might as well be welded to it because that's all I use it for.

My primary router is my bosch 1617evs. It is primarily used in the table with a fixed base (I have three of those), and use it hand held mostly with the plunge base. I have a craftsman fixed base router that only has a 1/4" collet. I keep a flush trim bit in it, however it doesn't get used that much. Not really router, however when I bought my first house I bought a craftsman rotary saw, which essentially is a rotozip, thinking I could use it as a router. (nope, but it does great on dry wall though!) Last I have a dremel tool that I have had for about 20 years now.

I am likely going to build a new router table this winter, and if I can convince SWMBO I would like to get a router to dedicate to the table.

I guess I have four. That surprised me cuz this is the first time I count :)

My first router was a Bosch 1617EVS that's now in the table; could use a larger router, someday, but this works well now.

Second is the Domino... hey, it's a horizontal router, okay? It rocks; highly recommended.

Third is the OF1400, which I love for freehand work and great dust collection.

Fourth is the MFK-700. Mixed opinion on it. Amazing dust collection when edging, flushing, etc. and I do mean amazing dust collection. Limitations on bit sizes, though, are amazingly frustrating. If you ever considered one, talk to someone who has it about specific uses... that's all I'll say.

I think I hit my head on the desk when I fell over after reading that LQQK owns a Craftsman. Seriously, this lump isn't going anywhere without ice...

As for the 'best' number (part deux of your question)... hmm, 1 for table, 1 good freehand and an optional one for small flushing operations that you can keep chucked up ready to go. Have a fixed-base available for the table-mounted router, too, so if you use a dovetail jig, you can have 2 routers setup.

Edited by Paul-Marcel
Oops, forgot question part 2

What do I think is a good number to have? - one more than I currently have at any given moment :)

I have three.

1. The Makita R1100 series (D-handle, fixed, and plunge bases) used for freehand work
  2. Bosch Colt
  3. Porter Cable 892 for the table

I'm a bit of a Festoolian and am lusting after the OF1010 but just can't justify the cost as a hobbyist.

Joe

I'll take one for each bit, ideally.

I only have two, a triton for the table and a hitachi for freehand work. I'd like to dedicate the hitachi with a straight bit for dados/grooves and pick up the new Bosch for the plunge. maybe a couple of palm routers also for the most common profile bits and such. Until then, I guess I'll have to change bits as I need them... ugh...

I have one router, which is a pain in the butt, since I have to unscrew the fixed base from the table in order to use the fixed base anymore.

I'd like to step up to a bigger router attached to the table, and have my old router back - it has plunge and fixed bases, and would work in 90% of cases. And then I'd probably add a laminate/trim router to my Santa-bring-me-one list, since that'd be handy, too.

I have one router, which is a pain in the butt, since I have to unscrew the fixed base from the table in order to use the fixed base anymore.

I'd like to step up to a bigger router attached to the table, and have my old router back - it has plunge and fixed bases, and would work in 90% of cases. And then I'd probably add a laminate/trim router to my Santa-bring-me-one list, since that'd be handy, too.

I have one router too (unless you count the trim router from HF or the dremel with attachment....which I don't). I too have my fixed base on the router table and a separate plunge base. I was fortunate that when I got my router there was an offer to get a free D-handle base.....so I have that to use for a fixed base out of the router table.

I have a Triton and Rigid trim router. I could use another one so i don't have to pull the Triton out from under the tablesaw wing.

quote taken out of context...

a small crapsman that I ... use in a home-made horizontal mortising system.

LQQK

I think the bigger story in this thread is that LL admitted that he has a Craftsman and uses it. LMAO

I have a Triton and Rigid trim router. I could use another one so i don't have to pull the Triton out from under the tablesaw wing.

quote taken out of context...

I think the bigger story in this thread is that LL admitted that he has a Craftsman and uses it. LMAO

in all fairness, it's that crapsman router that made LL's relationship with Craftsman a sour and "shocking" experience in the first place. I'm surprised he even mentioned it, but maybe it's like an old girlfriend he loves to hate ;)

I have two, and sometimes i wish i only had one. :-)

I have a nice Riobi with matching bench table which i got off ebay. It is now permanently mounted in the table as the new one i just bought is for anything hand routed. This is where it gets annoying. The cheap one i bought i purchased from screwfix.com and it cost like 20 quid. However the base is not level and is not worth £5. i currently have jacked up the plastic on the base so that it is mostly level, but it is a bit of a bodgit job. I am loathe to throw it away, but am resided to the fact, that is what you get when you buy a router for £20 :-)

I now use it for any quick jobs as it runs very slow when it is turned right down, and i can do some routing after hours, the slow speeds are great for inlay work. I am hoping it will break and i can buy another :-)

My ryobi is lovely but noisy, and when attached to the aluminium table it is super noisy. But it is my first, and will always be my favourite :-) I mainly use the Ryobi for jettisoning small pieces of wood around my shed that should not have been routed on the table in the first place!

I have my eye on a really big Ryobi plunge router. My dream router. I like to wander down the road on my lunch break and just check out the lines of her on the shelf in the hardware store. She's a beaut! :-)

I have a Freud mounted in a router table I made from a scrapped out table saw, a 2 1/2 HP Ryobi (that I wish I hadn't bought) plunger, and 3 PC 690s that I have set up for my dovetail jig (one bit in each set for 3/4" stock). I just bought a Bosch Colt to start trying my had at inlays. I also have an old Crapsman and some piece of junk that somebdoy gave me. I never use either of them. I wish I had spent the Ryobi money on a better router but now I'm stuck with it for a while.

I got 5. The 3 1/4 HP Triton in a table as an over arm pin router. The 1 1/2 HP Ryboi in a bench top table a PC 690 and a Ryboi plunge router. I also have the Bosch colt for small work.

Ooh, could you post a picture of your over arm pin router setup? I used to mount a router on the arm of a radial arm saw to do over arm pin routing, but I've since gotten rid of the RAS. I do not miss the RAS, but I have wished for the router setup a time or two.

-- Russ

I have 6, ! 1/2 HP 20yr old Craftsman, a ! 1/2 hp Ryobi, Bosch 1617EV set 2 1/4 hp, MLCS 3 hp Plunge, Grizzly 1/2 hp trim router and a Dremel 4000 rotary with both router bases (great tool for working on toys)

I see those router bases and wonder. Now, I bought a Dremel ages ago in a grout-removal kit. I think it is a pretty basic Dremel. Do those bases work pretty well? Are there tiny "router" bits available for it to route tiny grooves in a project? I didn't count my Dremel, cuz i haven't removed grout in awhile (thankfully!!), but those bases and a decent selection of tiny bits might make it useful in more situations.

Also, what's special about a Dremel 4000 vs the original basic Dremel? Might have to wander that aisle in Lowe's next time...

Paul-Marcel, well the 4000 is not like the old style Dremel tool. It has better internal speed control(under load), great variable speed, a wide variety of bits now exist(router bits), the router bases are nice to work with and everything is not overly expensive as of yet. Oh yea, the collet system has been improved for better grip and easier bit changes. Do I sound like a commercial yet. Anyway, I enjoy making toys for my grand kids and this tool is just a blast for doing fine detail work you could not do with a conventional router. I have a large hobby shop near me in Milwaukee and watched a group of doll house furniture builders using Dremel 4000's to make all kinds of different things. Until then, I guess I just thought of it as the old familiar rotary tool. It has come a long way. Check it out.

Ooh, could you post a picture of your over arm pin router setup? I used to mount a router on the arm of a radial arm saw to do over arm pin routing, but I've since gotten rid of the RAS. I do not miss the RAS, but I have wished for the router setup a time or two.

-- Russ

HERE YA GO.

post-87-069251500 1282865260_thumb.jpg