Bowl Turning 101 Webcast First of a Series

Roger T

Good morning all,

Well the topic for the first interactive demo will be Bowl Turning 101. Going from a log, to a finished bowl. Right now, I am trying to come up with a schedule for this, and am looking at the middle of next week to do this. As this will be a simulcast on 2 different websites, I need to find a convenient time and day to make this work for the majority of the people. As soon as I can touch base with Marc, and the Webmaster on the other site, I will get the time and date set.

Both have indicated they will promote this, so I am hoping for a fairly nice turnout.

See you soon, keep your gouges sharp, and the chips flyin!

Roger

Just a reminder for everyone about the Bowl Turning 101 tomorrow night at 7:00 Central, 8 Eastern. I should be able to record this for any that miss it, or just want to watch it again at a later date.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Roger

Roger, I thoroughly enjoyed your live turning demo last night. A lot of what you did was similar to how I turn but I learned a lot of new tips. When I cut my blanks on the bandsaw I don't use templates but I made a circle cutting jig that works great. You can see me use it here:

You described other turners hollowing the inside of the bowl by doing a series of short grooves. I did it that way for awhile. Even when I finally picked up a bowl gouge it took awhile to get the grind just right. Once I found that sweet spot, I was sending long curly shavings all over the shop. It was better that getting that hand plane to take long thin shavings. I have been working the fresh blank from the outside but I want to start using the bowl gouge and starting from the bark end like you did on the video. I haven't had good results with it so far, need more practice. For drying I use a can of cheap paste wax coated on but not shined and then a paper bag. I have very good results with this. You mentioned about not making the tenon the max size of the jaws. I turned a green bowl one time and set it up to dry. No cracking but I did have serious warpage. The tenon had turned into an oval and would no longer fit the chuck. I wound up using a door knob hole saw to cut a new circle and then chiseled around that. Keep up the great work, looking forward to more videos.

Bill Akins

(Billboard)

Bill,

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated! I am really glad that you were able to take something away from the demo. My goal in every webcast or show I do, is to provide enough information to get the newer guys headed in the right direction, and maybe turn the light bulb on for more experienced guys on something they are having trouble with.

If you need more help on your bowl turning, just let me know, we can work together in the chat/video forum.

I appreciate the input.

Roger

Hi Roger -

Nice job on the demo last night. I am not a turner, but have always wanted to know more about it. I definitely learned a lot about the reasons behind the different gouges, how to use them, proper technique, log prep, etc etc. Seeing those long stringy curls coming off your gouge was definitely impressive.

I hope you are able to salvage the entire video, after the little 'hiccup' towards the end. I'd like to be able to watch it again, since now a lot of what you said would make more sense.