Bought some Cherry

wdworking

I work with a guy who had some Cherry to sell and it's rough sawed about an inch thick ranges from 4 inches wide to 9 inches wide and some of the piece's are 8 ft long. It's been in this out building for years. he knows that it's been nearly twenty years since it's been in there. Only a couple are cupped and from my untrained eye, it will need a lot of planing to get the very rough saw marks out of it. I figure I have a couple hundred B.F. of it. For 125.00 is it a good deal? Would the age of it make it a better or worse deal?

Thanks.

Craig

i just priced out a bunch of wood and at common 1 the guy told me 3 dollers for a board foot. so sit down and take the width of each board and times it by length then divide by 12 to figure out the board foot of each board. write that numbr on each board and when you done tally it up and then times it by 3.00 thats how you tell if its a good deal or not. wont take to long to clean them up may be a pass or four through the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I got the Cherry. About 15 or so boards in varying widths. (4 inches up to about 9 wide) 5/4 in thickness. A couple are cupped, but overall, it's pretty good stuff. I don't have a planer or jointer so I will have someone either dimension it for me, or I will try and do it the old fashion way with a plane. (I rather like the idea of doing SOME by hand.) As old as this stuff is, I think it's a great find.

Project frame and panel desk. Never built one before, but consider it a challenge. Can't find plans for one, so I will have to come up one of my own I guess.

Several of them are over 6 feet long. I know since I could not put the door down on the SUV bringing them home. I have attached an image of a few in my garage. Moved a few to the basement to acclimate to the house.

The pieces in the image are under 8" wide and vary from 4-4/5 in thickness.

None are 8/4 so I will have to figure out how to create legs for my frame and panel desk. I've seen images on taking two triangle pieces and creating the one leg. Have not figured out how to do that yet. <_< Was thinking of making the legs 2" square.

I have added a page to my website to document the adventure. This will give me a good reason to keep it up to date on a more regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...